What to your kids eat/drink when they are sick?

My 15 month old would only eat half a container of kids yogurt and half a sippy cup of 7 Up. For lunch he maybe ate 2 chicken nuggets and for breakfast he ate part of a waffle and a couple of berries. And maybe 1 cup of milk through the day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids are sick, like stomach bug, they tend to get a lot of dry cereal. Like cheerio's. They are bland and full of nutrients. They drink home made pedialyt. When they are sick with the sniffles or such then they eat normal but less of it, though I try to avoid to much dairy because of the mucus build up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If it's a stomach bug...pop is the WORST thing you can give!
    Anonymous

• If my son is sick with a cold, his diet doesn't really change, But if he has a stomach virus and is vomiting, all he gets is very very diluted formula. He can't have pedialtye or gatorade, and doesn't like juice. The only thing he will drink is water but water alone is hard on a nauseaus stomach, so we put a tiny bit of formula in it. Last time he got real sick his dr had us take him to the ER. They said he should have been dehydrated due to how long/often he had been vomiting but all his labs were perfect. The small amount of formula in the water helped him stay hydrated.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It's not a stomach bug. It's a fever due to teething. I don't normally give him soda but it's all I can get him to drink.
    Anonymous

• Is a fever all he has? Mine is teething too. (One in about a week) She doesn't have a temp. but diarrhea. The doc said the B.R.A.T. diet for that sort. Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 8:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Sounds pretty typical for teething then. They usually don't like to eat when their mouths are hurting. Just keep offering him soft stuff. Applesauce, yogurt, pudding, etc. My son doesn't even like to drink from a bottle or sippy when his teeth hurt.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My 19 month old has only had a few days where he wasn't feeling himself (today included). He pretty much just nurses all day long. I at least know that he is staying hydrated and getting good nutrition.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 9:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Wow. Toddlers should not be drinking soda. He should be drinking milk or water.
    Anonymous

• 'I don't normally give him soda but it's all I can get him to drink. '

That's because you offered it in the first place. good luck getting him to not pitch a fit for it later.
    Anonymous

• Whatever, he is drinking water today just fine. I guess your not the parenting expert you think you are...
    Anonymous