How do you build up a pumped milk supply quickly?

I have to build up a supply of frozen milk quickly. Starting on August 24, I will need 7 bottles of milk per week. How can I accomplish this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 bottles doesn't say how long you will be away from your baby...

Your baby will need 1-1.25 oz of BM for every hour you are away from your baby, neer in amounts higher than 5 oz. Think every 2 hours 2-2.5oz bottles...every 3 horus 3-3.75oz bottles see what I mean.

To get a good supply going pump on one breast while baby nurses the other, pump 1/2 way between feedings...pump immediately after EVERY feeding for a few days for about 10 minutes and you'll up supply enough to have extra. YOu can combine pumpings to make 2-3 oz sections.

7 bottles a week is not a big deal, you ca do that.

Make sure to pump for every missed feeding from the breast.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Pump often - especially right after feedings. If your baby is eating more than every 3 hrs, pump between feedings, too, if you can. Pump 'til you're dry & then pump another 5 min. Use a good dual-electric pump. Do this around the clock --- set an alarm at night if you have to.

Fenugreek -- 3 pills, 3 times/day.

You'll see MAJOR results within 1-2 wks. I'm talking, giving full feedings straight from the breast PLUS 6-8 4oz bottles in the fridge PLUS beginning to have a supply to freeze.

Time consuming... but it works. G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• To build up your output of milk, try to pump every 15- 20 minutes. Don't forget when you're out of the home you can go hide and pump somewhere too. I don't think you have to take anything extra to build up a milk supply. I completely BF at home AND built up a huge milk supply. Also, wake up in the middle of the night a take a break during nap time to pump too.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• When you are home i would pump after every feeding. this does two things. one: It increases the amount of demand and there fore supply and two: It gives you extra to freeze. If you have dropped night feedings don't drop night pumping. try to pump at least once during the night. I would also consider using fenugreek seed capsules. Take 3-4 at every meal. Drink lot's of water. hydration is key. A lot of people swear by eating oatmeal every day. i personally couldn't do it. lol. Try to pump or feed every 4 hours If you are working then by law your job has to provide you with a break (unpaid unless they are just nice) and a private place to pump as long as it doesn't disrupt the flow of business. What you are trying to accomplish is totally doable! I was having to provide twice that much for my girl and had no problems! Don't get discouraged. Some days you will pump better than others. If you have any questions...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Seven bottles a week? Easy peasy.

Pump one side while nursing the other every single morning. There's your seven bottles.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Marathon pumping! I would pump for an hour take a break pump for an hour and take a break. OR nurse as much as you can, the more you pump/nurse the better supply you can get.
    MommyFlood

Answer by MommyFlood at 3:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009