what age did you let your child have pop for the first time?

my sister in law let's her 8 month old have pop in his bottle. i think that's a little too young.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's really too young. My daughter was 3 when I gave her sprite for the first time. She's only had it once. It's for a very special occasion, I suppose.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes!!!! That is WAY too young!!! I will keep my DD away from that stuff for as long as possible!!! She's one and the only "junk food" I let her have is a fruit roll up or licorice every great once in a while. Oh, and cake when at a birthday party (like hers in about a week). You can't go to a birthday party and not have cake!! ;)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 8:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son had sprite for at his second birthday, like 2 sips cause at the time he didn't like the carbonation... the next time he had sprite was like christmas, just before his 3rd birthday... now he's 3.5 and gets it a little more often, but not everyday.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids are 6 and 9. They don't drink pop. They've both tasted it and don't like it, but I waited until they were 5 respectively before I let them even taste it. They drink water, milk, and sometimes juice. I do let my 9 year old drink Hi-C or lemonade at a restaurant. My 6 year old doesn't like anything except water, milk, and juice.
    Anonymous

• My father gave my son a sip of pepsi when he was around 11 months old.. and when I say a sip I mean just that a small sip. At 4 I will still give him small sips of my dr pepper or he will get some of my dad's pepsi. But it doesn't happen all of the time Too each their own in my opinion.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids have been getting sips of pop since they were babies (not by my choice but I don't think a few sips will kill them). My youngest would sneak my dad's soda from him when she was like 18 months old. Other then stolen sips they didn't actually drink soda until they were about 3 but then it was only when we were out to eat. Most of the time they chose milk or juice anyway. They are 9, 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 3 and are allowed to order whatever they want to drink when we are out. My son is the only one that really likes to get soda but we limit it to 1 refill and then they have to drink water.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 2yr old
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my daughter will be 3 in october and still isnt allowed
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would say my oldest child,Jake ,haad his 1st drink of pop when he was maybe 2 and it was root beer.My 2nd child,Katie is now 21 months old and she has had pop a couple of times,because we found out it doesn't really hurt a child to have it occasionally.We BARELY even have pop in the house.They love to drink water,kool-aid,juice-Katie of course has to have a drink every 5 min.
    It's not really as crazy as my best friend's middle child ,Dylan,who was ADDICTED to Mountain Dew at 2,and I heard that could be REALLY bad for teeth enamel.
    maidmomma

Answer by maidmomma at 10:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son was about 9 months old and had flat Sprite in his bottle because he was throwing up and his doctor recommended this to help his tummy. Flat Coke worked much better. My son is now 13 and rarely drinks soda, he is more of a water kid and always has been. It doesn't hurt for a child to have soda in moderation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009