How can I support him?

My husband has recently decided to make good on a long-time dream and join the navy. The only issue? He weighs about 320 pounds. He is working out and staying strict to his diet. He is so excited and gung-ho, but I'm not. I'm ok with the military thing, but we have two children under 3! I dont want to disappoint him with my concerns, but we need to talk realistically before he gets to his goal. How do I express my fears but not knock him off his cloud 9?

cornfamilyzoo

Asked by cornfamilyzoo at 8:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Did he make the decision without your input? If so, that was very inconsiderate. He has a partner that he has to discuss things with. If you did discuss it and you were ok with it, you shouldn't back out now. Either way, just be honest with him. Don't let the children be the only factor though. If you live on base, you should have a pretty good support system there. If not, do you have family around you to help? He shouldn't leave you alone is my main point.
    Anonymous

• Just be honest. Put it in terms that don't sound like you are trying to tear him down or blame him, but be honest. "I am worried about what will happen when (you deploy, you are at basic training)" "Can we discuss some plans for how we will handle (deployment, whatever)?" This way it sounds like you are thinking and planning and not just saying I don't know what we'll do, so let's just forget the whole thing. But in the end, honesty is key. He can't address your concerns if he doesn't know about them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm confused what's the real issue here? Having two children under 3 doesn't have anything to do with eating right and exercising. It's probably a good idea for him to get healthy and you should support him 100% in doing so.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I also fail to see the problem?
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009