What would you do about this situation?

Ok, my grandparents are dog lovers, I guess. They have two dogs living inside and one outside. The inside dogs are a Chihuahua and Schnauzer. I have disliked the little chihuahua for a long time for biting my young children. When we visit, hes put away. I have also not really like the other dog because all he does is growl at me and my kids. Today I went for a visit and it was a great day outside. My grandmother watches some of my younger cousins who are all still pretty young. I was running around in their front lawn chasing the kids and tickling them. It was great fun! Well, that is until the Big Schnauzer came up and bit my stomach/side. I am 5 weeks prego, but have not told anyone yet. But that is besides the point! My grandfather said that I should not have been playing around like that because the dog thought I was hurting the kids, but I dont think it is a good idea for a dog w/ that issue to be w/ kids! Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I think people think too highly of dogs....they are animals and should be treated as such....

If it were me, I would just get rid of the dogs...but since they are not yours, I would just request that all the dogs be leashed or put away when the kids are over playing.

If the dog was confused by your play, thinking you were hurting the kids, then what stops the dog from misinterpreting the kids play or rough house....I would be worried.
    Anonymous

• I agree. I knew of a little 3 year old whos family had a dog/ ( a mixed breed) that had been the family pet for years. For no reason whatsoever, one afternoon the dog turned on the little boy and mauled him. He had most of his nose ripped from his face as well as his upper lip and half of one side of his face. The boy is now 17, but he is still physically and emotionally scarred from that. You have to be careful of dogs that are easily provoked.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I am an advocate of the family dog, however NO dog has the right to bite. I am so tired of dog owners making excuses for their dogs bad behavior. Your relatives need to assume the responsibility in keeping their dogs away from a situation that may "threaten" them.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If the dog thought you were hurting the kids he should have given a warning growl that is unsafe to have kids around that. Did he yell at the dog (or beat him). One time my sd tried to get our puppy from outside and she had her first real bone from a ham and she bit her. Let me tell you she knew she did wrong. (she since got hit by a car) and now i let my daughter give our new puppy all his treats and she can play in his food just so he knows not to be agressive. And i still watch of course. I think old people especially have too much faith in their little old grumpy dogs.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Dogs that are clearly treated differantly like the inside outside thing can tend to offten have issues, I have Mutt and a Pitt Bull and If it was politically correct I would let them baby sit my 6 month old (but I am not insane I would never do this it is just a joke), they have always been treated exactly the same (unless one is in trouble) and they have responded in a very gental and nurturing way, HOWEVER My Mother has 2 Shi-Zues and one is mean and nasty twards children, the other is a playful Lil tyke ( she often locks the other one away when geusts come over and this has just made her worse so I suggested to her to lock both of them away and it worked she is now just as loving and playful when aloud to come and visit, SHE IS NO LONGER JEALOUS) but I do agree with your grandfather on one thing and yes the dog could have thought that, BUT I agree with you if he knew his dog was protective, the dog should have beenputAWAY
    pandabear81

Answer by pandabear81 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I totally agree with this "I think people think too highly of dogs....they are animals and should be treated as such...."!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• wow seriously anons! You do know technically us humans fall under the animal category too right? We're mammals give birth to live young, produce milk to feed them and have hair on our bodies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My husband had a mini schnauzer when we got married and she is the sweetest thing. To my husband, she was his baby and got all of his attention. Well, when our little girl was born, the dog had to adjust to this new crying, drooling, attention stealer and got upset. I told my husband that if the dog ever snapped at the baby, she'd be gone. The dog growled at the baby and appeared aggressive one time and my husband disciplined her. It happened one more time, the hubbs disciplined her, and that was the end of it. Now, the baby and dog are BFF's. If a dog is a danger to anyone, especially children, it shouldn't be around them. I would prob tell my grandparents that I won't be able to visit if they don't put the dogs away. The childrens' safety is much more important than a dogs right to run around the yard. I mean, the dog can handle being penned/caged for a few hours. That's not inhumane.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree, the owners should put the dogs away when there are children around, especially now that they know for sure that the dogs have these tendencies. I have a Golden Retriever & a Standard Poodle & I trust them completely. But if we have guests, the dogs are either in the back yard or my bedroom (depending on weather). I don't believe that other people should be subjected to our family pets. If we have overnight guests, the dogs are locked up until our guests are comfortable then the dogs are let out in a controlled way.

I would never forgive myself if my dogs hurt someone, especially a child, so I am extra careful. I also do not want my dogs put down by Animal Control for a situation that I could have prevented.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• all their dogs need training. sounds to me like they have been humanized and have not gotten any discepline what so ever. do they have digital cable have them watch the dog whisperer. they would reaize then that their dogs are not good dogs.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009