Is a 3lb weight gain in two weeks a lot for a 4 year old?

My daughter just returned from a two week vacation with her grandparents. Whenever they take her they always let her eat whatever she wants which really annoys me. This time, I decided to weigh her the day she left and the day she returned, so I could see what the damage really was. She went from 39.6 to 42.6 in slightly under two weeks. Now obviously for an adult a 3lb weight gain on a 2 week vacation is nothing, but for a 4 year old? What do you think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well really i think that it depends on alot of things, did you weigh her at the same time? wearing the same stuff etc..that can make a big difference in weight. as far as the weight gain being high, it could be but it could also have been a growth spurt etc...it really depends on alot of stuff to figure that out.
    for the food thing w/her grandparents, don't let them take her if she can eat all junk. she's def going to get more w/her grandparents than she does at home, thats what they do even though it makes us insane, but if you think its beyond whats healthy for her, tell them next time she won't get to go unless they make sure she eats right.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know my kids weights fluctuate just like mine does! I will weigh them evey once in a while and 2lbs is normal for them to go up or down. Depends on the time of day too, if in the a.m. she will wiegh at least 1-2lbs less than in the evening. Doesn't sound so strange, and she will probably just lose it after eating normal again!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• the normal weight for a 4-5 years old child is between 15-22 kgs., and thats 33lbs. to 49 lbs. what is your child's weight now?
    nat126

Answer by nat126 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes, I do believe that weight gain at this weight can be an issue and you should take it up with your child's peditrician. I also have a very active 4 year old and she has always been the height and weight of a child at least a year older, therefore, I really try to watch her intake.

I don't advise that you threaten the grandparents - I had to learn this also. they don't mean any harm and love their grandchild. I don't believe that them spoiling and splurging on her for a short period of time - every once in a while is going to harm your baby. If they were the primary daily care giver then yes I would be concerned. Let them be grandparents and enjoy spoiling their grandbaby! Yes, experess your concerns about the over eating of unhealthy treats and let them know what you absolutely refuse for her to have - and leave it at that - this will work better than threatening to stop visitation "Speaking from experience"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2009