Flying early in the morning with my toddler- tips? Advice?

I live on the east coast, and I'm flying to the west coast with my 14 month old daughter. The flight is scheduled for 6am...but my daughter usually wakes up by 7:30am.

Is she going to be seriously messed up because I have to wake her up in order to be at the airport by 4:30am? Am I asking for trouble? It's her first time on a plane and I'm already freaking out....most people I've talked to on cafemom say that earlier flights are better than late flights...but I'm beginning to have my doubts...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my kids were little, I would start trips early & just have them ride in the car in pajamas. You will have time at the airport to change her clothes. Or dress her in light pants & a t-shirt for bed the night before. She will probably fall back to sleep on the plane. My kids always found the plane noise to be very soothing, especially once the take-off is over. Make sure you change her diaper right before you get on the plane as the changing tables in the airplace bathrooms are very tiny & that will be one less change you have to make. Make sure she has a comfort object with her & bring your own snacks for both of you. If she doesn't take a bottle anymore (and you aren't nursing or she will be in a carseat for the flight & can't nurse), a sippy cup will help her on take off & landing too. It is the swallowing that helps. Allow extra time to buy drinks once you pass security. Stay relaxed & good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• it is early enough that she will probably go back to sleep. Hint...on take off and landing, if she is awake, have her chew on something so that her ears will pop. I had trouble with both my boys on the pressure change. she could even suck on her pacifier or bottle if she has any problems to help them pop.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you're nursing this will be much easier. Takeoff and landing will be a breeze. The trick is keeping her occupied during the long flight. Take lots of toys and keep snacks in your carry-on. I will be making a 12 hour drive here soon with a 14 month old... I wish us both luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We just did this trip with our 18 month old. He was wide awake at 3:30am, when we had to get up to leave for the airport. He did great. As soon as the plane took of he went right to sleep and slept the entire 4 hour flight. I actually had to wake him up to get off the plane.
    I would bring his favorite blanket and lovey.
    Good luck and don't worry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009