Is there anything I can do or should I just let her be?(Sleeping on tummy)

I put DD to bed in her crib for bed and laid her on her back. I went to check on her earlier and she was on her side. I went back in there just now and she was the opposite way(head and feet opposite from the way she started) and on her stomach. She is 3 1/2 months. She has been able to roll over from tummy to back since before one month and just started back to tummy a couple weeks ago, but this is the first time she has rolled onto her tummy while sleeping. I am already deathly afraid of SIDS and want to know what I can do to keep her on her back. I have one of those positioners and we used to use in when she slept in the bed with us. But about a month ago she became to mobile during sleep and could get out of it and would wiggle all over-which is why she now sleeps in her crib. I don't want to use that(or anything else) in her crib. SO what do I do about her rolling onto her tummy? Or is it okay to just leave her?

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I noticed since my daughter was about a month old that she had a hard time sleeping on her back, so for several days I supervised that she was strong enough to move her head and once I was comfortable I let her sleep on her belly, I did mention this to her doctor since I was terrified of SIDs and his answer was that the best way for a baby to sleep is where she/he feels comfortable, besides my daughter as Acid Reflux and is more dangerous for her to sleep on her back because she could choke... to tell you the truth it has been a blessing she goes to sleep around 8 pm and wakes up at 7am.... love it.

Answer by Avy1930 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• once my son was more mobile and able to roll, he was a side/tummy sleeper too. he just prefered it that way. Yet I still laid him on his back. I think once babies can roll over, even if just one way, the risk of SIDS is lowered! just make sure the fitted sheet is tucked in tightly, she isnt sleeping on loose blankets or you have big stuffed animals in the crib. and if you have a bumper, remove it.

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• ok if u think about sids they say it happens more to babies ont heir stomach well not that long ago they were saying it happens to babies that sleep on their back. so they dont really know!! my daugher use to sleep on her back and was fine. my son now 8 months use to sleep on his belly at that age and still does. I say leave her if she is comfy.

• It is ok to leave her. She is at the point that she will continue to roll over. My suggestion is to make sure that the crib padding and blankets are removed from the crib to avoid any other risks. HTH

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• allow her to fall asleep on tummy (supervised) then when she is fully asleep put her on her back-
    if shes rolling target,walmart, babies r' us, sell something to prevent her from rolling on her tummy
    sids is still very real be safe not sorry.

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know that most babies like to sleep on their tummy and you're just supposed to make them sleep on their back, but I allowed mine to sleep on his tummy from day one. He slept in the same room right next to the bed in a cradle and he always had a pacifier in his mouth when he went to sleep, something my doctor advocated because she believed it could prevent SID's. I also made sure I dressed him warm enough that he wouldn't need blankets, getting rid of that hazard.

Answer by LMAmos83 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i would let it be.

she will probably sleep sounder on her belly

Answer by charisma10 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i would leave my own alone..she is probaly comfortable..

Answer by Mrs.sarita at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If she can roll over herself she is fine. .. My son slept on his stomach from the first night I brought him home from the hospital.

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My daughter slept on her tummy from day 1.. granted she could move her head side to side when she was sleeping too... so sue me. Its the only way she'd lay down and not scream.

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009