Who should places like the Salvation Army help?

Only people who have a belief in any sort of god? Only those who believe in a christian god? Should they ask first to know what they are helping? Should christian organizations draw a line on helping others in this regard? Or should they help anyone who needs help, for the sake of helping others? What really matters here -- helping people or helping christians?

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 10:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• helping anyone who needs it.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If they are true Christians they should be happy to help anyone who needs it regardless of their religious affiliation.

If they chose not to help based on religious affiliation I would say they are an embarrassment to the religion.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My church does both. For the welfare at the congregation level it helps members because what the budget allows.

On the city, state, and world-scale, it sends disaster relief, education, and other resources (people to teach farming, dig wells, build houses, etc) to anyone in need regardless of their religion.

I'm really not opinionated on the matter. I think individual churches can choose to help whoever they want - I'm just glad when they're helping anybody at all. I don't feel it's my place to gripe about it if they're doing it differently than I would.
    Anonymous

• why is who is helped an issue? i'm fairly certain the SA doesn't ask for religious affiliation when persons in need walk in. and i'm certain God didn't. i'd even go so far as to say any organization, xtian or otherwise, doesn't differentiate help given on basis of religious belief. (i could be wrong, of course.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Salvation Army doesn't even ask your believes when you go for help. They help ANYONE in need. I know a Catholic church that helps people and they don't even ask your believes. They help parents and families with diapers, formula, clothes, baby items and sometimes money for rent or utilities.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've always thought they helped anyone who needs it. Has something happened? Did they refuse help to someone you know?
    cafeclubmom

Answer by cafeclubmom at 10:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• That's not always true, tyfry7496. It was asked, and the person in question was grilled and lectured.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I went to the Salvation Army food bank one time, they never asked me what religion I am but they made me feel like shit.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i agree in helping anyone and everyone who needs it... Show them that GOd loves them
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• They should help anyone who needs it. As Christians we believe that everyone has been created by God and is loved by Him, whether they think so or not.

If we begin to deny certain people our help because we don't think they "deserve" it, we are just as bad as the pharisee that passed by the man left on the side of the road to die. The Lord Jesus said that it was the good samaritan who really did the "right" thing. We need to be like that good samaritan and help when we see people in need, because we are ALL HUMAN.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009