ARE ANY OF YOUR RELATIVES...

addicted to drugs and/or alcohol? Have you tried to help them? Have you given up on them?

JewelBliss

Asked by JewelBliss at 10:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• I think they really have to make their own decision to quit and get help. Even then, you never know when they will relapse. I know it's a helpless feeling to stand by and watch them destroy themselves, but addiction makes someone extremely selfish. I'll never understand it. My mom passed away from heart problems caused by alcoholism.
    Anonymous

• you kind of have to let people live their own life. Many times they wont stop until they hit "rock bottom"
    Anonymous

• we tried to help my uncle for years but his depression kept pulling him back to drugs. We lost him to drugs august 2006
    Anonymous

• Yes, and I still offer help to my sister. Thing is you can't help someone who doesn't want help. I have suggested and given my last advice to her but will always be there to help her when she is ready. I can't keep worrying and letting it affect my life and then turn around and watch her keep doing the same things and act as if she is okay and proud of it.
    Anonymous

• my dad, i gave up.
    Anonymous

• lots of Alcholism in my family no drugs though. To be honest I don't really understand their addictions but I do know that none of them want any help in recovery or support to blind to see it...
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 11:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my x got addicted to drugs. I had to leave and get my kids away from that. He wouldn't get help so yeah I gave up on him. It wasn't easy to do bc he was a great guy when he was sober and straight.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Ya know I believe my little sister is somehow addicted to pain pills. She is a medical assistant and always has access to a doctor and has been fired from 3 jobs in offices for what she said was very stupid reasons. She has always been a compulsive liar, she was about why she failed high school. She hangs out with questionable people constantly. The type of people who are ex-addicts, current addicts, and plain white trash (no offense on that comment). Her moods are constantly defensive, angry, quick to blow, mean, and ruthless. We notice these moods more often when she asks my mom to borrow money to get a "prescription",or cigarettes or whatever. When she's out of pills she's downright hateful. She makes more money an hour than my dad, yet she still need to borrow money. She refuses to do anything for or with family, she'd rather hang out with her friends. She's also very shady. We've suspected this 4 years,but cant prove it.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes, my brother is the worst out of all of them. Most of my family are alcoholics to some point. My brother has had 4 DUI's, lost a very good paying job with awesome benefits, doesn't get to see his daughters unless someone else is there, he has lost friends and ruined his life. It is more important for him to sit on a bar stool and drink until he can't walk than anything else. I have stopped caring and trying. He has been offered the chance to go through rehab and he walked away from it. YOU CANNOT HELP SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE HELPED!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2009