Do you agree with Conyer's? No point in reading the healthcare bill?

UMMM WOW I am baffled.Link below with vid his own words.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 10:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Just goes to show how out of touch dems are.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Hey - I'm with him ! Why go to all that trouble? Just vote the way you're told to vote by the special interests who OWN you and keep you in office. ... Makes sense, right??

... Seriously - I am at a loss for words. What does he think his job IS ??!

And this was no slip-up, no poor choice of words in the midst of a hasty exchange. He was honestly puzzled as to why people are urging their Congressmen to read the bill, since it was 1000 pages and would require 2 days and 2 lawyers to figure it out.

( 2 WHOLE days??! Horrors ! ... Lawyers??! None of those to be found in Congress ! )
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've heard a few crazy things about the health reform bill. One is that medicare recipients may not get some surgeries paid for. They are taking the average life span and dividing the cost of the surgery by how many years the person has (on average) left to live. If it's above the "standard", it's not getting paid for. Could you imagine an 80 year old not getting heart surgery because the government thinks he's too old... that would be crazy.

Somebody needs to read it!
    Anonymous

• Um, he's not talking about the members reading the bill, he's talking about members requesting the bill to be read aloud in session. Nice try, though http://npc.press.org/  he was speaking at a National Press Club Luncheon, here is the link.  Click on the Conyers video link.

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• What's wrong with reading it aloud in session?
    Anonymous

_______________________
    I believe what he was complaining about is delay tactics by Republicans. He was saying it was a waste of valuable time. Also, I would like to add that National press club luncheons are usually more lighthearted affairs (you can hear them broadcast on NPR, I catch them quite a bit) and people use them to expound upon their opinions and talk generally about things. In other words, he was just bitchin.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• delay tactics? I bet it is moreso if they did so in session some might hear things that others would rather stay hidden.Also there goes any blocking of debate theyd all be there together.
    Anonymous

• delay tactics?
    _________________
    Hey, I'm just explaining what the guy said, not adding a bunch of spin and changing it so it fits my point of view. The quote was definitely not what the OPs link is trying to portray it as, and also I am not going to attribute any hidden meaning to what he was saying.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

The election showed how out of touch republicans are..Who's in office, RIGHT

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009