can i give my son...?

my son is in like the bottom ten percent or lower for his weight and age. i am concerned.he eats all the time is it ok to put like an extra scoop of formula when he takes the bottle? i know they say not to,but i thought it was becuz they can become obese and i would only do it for a little while.or can i give him whole milk sometimes too? he is 11 1/2 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is what we were DIRECTED to do for our son who is very small and has trouble gaining weight. You have to have a "recipe" for it though, because you shouldn't concentrate it to more than 30 cal/oz at this age. I believe it is 2.5 oz of water and 2 scoops formula. You can also SAFELY add canola or olive oil to his bottles. 1/4 tablespoon adds 30 calories. Again, we were directed to this by professionals, so yes, it is completely safe and VERY COMMON for babies to have formula this way if they are underweight. I am sure if you ask your dr he/she will say this is fine for you to do as well.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't put an extra scoop in the formula, the concentration might upset his stomach. But he's almost one, so whole milk probably would be fine!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• whole milk is started at a year so I would think you could give him that... it is the fat that you want with the whole milk, this is what the brain development needs... you have a 12mo well baby so I would address your concern with the Dr... not sure if something like ensure would be something your Dr could add .... I know that there are some toddler protein drinks out there... might be something to add to his diet... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 11:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Nope. You're not fattening him up for the slaughte! :) I his pediatrician isn't upset, I wouldn't be, either. Someone has to be in the bottom percent. Formula has more calories per ounce than whole milk, so whole milk will just dilute the nutrients he's getting.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• --original poster--
    Thanks mnt 2 be mommy- The dr actually is concerned a little bit and said feed him more and more food and rice cereal and he does he eats like10 stage 3 baby food jars a day plus about 2 bowls of rice cereal, about 35-40 ounces of formula a day plus snacks like low sodium turkey dogs, and stuff like that. Like I said he eats all the time! I will try the formula thing until his 12 month check up which is in like two weeks and then still give him some formula and whole milk after his 12 month check up
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Uh yeah, an infant can be obese. It is not healthy to be much over the 100%tile.

OP- If he is eating that much, I would seriously consider having him checked for malabsorption or allergies. We went through this with my son. Ate 2x the amount of calories he needed but only gained a few oz a month. He has been about 5-6 lbs BELOW the 3rd percentile since he was 4 months old. He will be 2 next month and just hit 20 lbs. Taking in that many calories but not growing can indicate problems. Certain allergic conditions can cause malabsorption, and other conditions cause the body to use up all the calories for things other than growth/development. I don't mean to alarm you, just wanted to share my experience in dealing with a very underweight baby who actually ate plenty.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• --original poster--

Thanks mnt 2 be mommy, you have really helped I will mention that condition to my pedi. Sometimes doctors dont think of that. Plus I dont really like my pedi. I am in the process of finding a new one. She threatened one of my friends toddlers mom she will call cps on her because her daughter around the same age as my son is in a very low percentile of weight and claims the mom is not feeding her enough, I just dont want my pedi to do that to me! I will talk to her about it. Thanks!
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No you shouldn't put extra formula in his bottle. All of my kids were on the small side, my 2nd was in the 3% for weight when he was a yr old, and at 9 yrs old he's still only in like the 15th - he's just long and skinny like my brothers. It's okay - as long as your son isn't sick and is active, then I wouldn't worry about it. I would get a new pedi if I didn't like the one I had.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009