What is up with WIC? New foods, including veggies and fruits on the allowable food list?

Today I went for a wic appointment and I was surprised to get checks which included whole grain options, ie bread,pasta, corn tortillas and also fruit and veggie options, fresh or frozen. It also included the regular milk, eggs, cheese, juice and cereal.
What does Wic allow where you live?
I am in Colorado.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that is great. I was on WIC for a short time and there was just cereal, milk, juice, cheese, and PB. I am glad to hear that there are more healthy options out there for people who need it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• That's great. I'm not on WIC, but my sister was and they didn't have that. That was a few years back though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• they don't allow it here yet but will be in october and im in hawaii.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yep it's everywhere. They just started it. I wasn't going to keep getting mine after my baby gets off formula in a month, but my kids eat TONS of bananas. I might be changing that decision. lol
    Anonymous

• Same thing here, in WA. they are also starting to give babies 6 months to a year gerber baby food, here. I think its great they are adding healthy options that kids really do enjoy to them.
    Anonymous

• Dang and my DD just turned 5, lol
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• That's nice they allow more options. I'm not on WIC, but it sounds like you'll be eating better than my family! Good for you!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• They are changing it every where. It starts in AZ Oct 1st.
    Anonymous

• that is great,did they just started this month???
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My hubby is military and we just came from Okinawa, Jp and they changed our WIC as well they added Wheat bread and Brown Rice(one or the other) and fresh veggies up to 6.00 fresh veggies one it's own voucher and added more milk and cheese.
    Armywife529

Answer by Armywife529 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009