down syndrome...

ok so i know i am at risk for having a baby with down syndrome but the thought of aborting a child just because they are not 'normal' in the eyes of society seems completly wronge to me. BUT my DH said he does not want the burden of it and since there is tests and early help that we should used what is there and keep trying... I can not do it... at first when we found out that we were at a higher risk, because it is genetic on the DH side, i was against it and i didnt want to but now as i see and learn more about the lives these wonderful children have i dk if i could not keep it... am i wrong for how i feel... what would you do in a situation like this....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• adopt.
    Anonymous

• we do have one beautiful little girl who is perfectly healthy. my husband carrys a genetic thing called chronmosonal translocation... and his 21 is affected and 14 but we are able to have "normal kids"..
    Anonymous

• I would never abort a special needs child. My daughter is low tone and developmentally delayed, and she's wonderful. I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm not sure what I would do in this situation....I'll be honest.

I will say I know down syndrome children and they can be stubborn(like every child) but they have great personalities and they are just happy to be alive. They live simple lives and bring joy to everyone they touch:)

The reason I don't know what I would do in this situation is because I would hurt so much if they got teased for their disability, but really any child can get teased. Okay so after this whole rant I know what I would do! I would not use medical intervention to find out and I would feel blessed either way. Good luck, sweetheart:) Everything will work out the way it is supposed to!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There is no doubt in my mind that i would keep any child i carried no matter what. Every child is beautiful and deserves to live a happy life. And if you don't want to raise that child because it might be a little challenging than choose adoption and give someone else that chance. By the way my sister was told that there was a chance her oldest boy would have down syndrome, she continued her pregnancy and had a happy healthy little boy and he is so smart .
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 12:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i would keep the baby
    and even with the tests, they aren't 100%..a perfectly "normal" baby could be aborted because a test said they might have downs.
    i was in school with a boy that had downs and of course he had some issues to deal with that other kids didn't. but he was a great kid. we all knew him, he had friends, even a girlfriend, he wasn't messed with. even played sports. did pretty well in school (he had an aide sometimes) he even got a job at the grocery store after graduation, i think there were 4 more kids in his family too and he was the oldest.. . .
    you never know what could happen, you could have a completely healthy child until just one day something happens and then there is more stress and hardship, etc. then before but that doesn't mean you get rid of the child kwim
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009