Fingers in mouth

Do you think that it is good for a baby (2 months old) to put their hands in their mouth? I think it is an important part of a babys development. I see friends spend all day trying to keep their babies hands out of their mouths because they fear their baby will be a thumb sucker. What do you all think?

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I let mine do it still, and she's 7 months. Now she does it because she's teething and likes to chew on her fingers. I don't see anything wrong with it nor do I understand why some parents try to prevent it. It's a normal baby thing, babies learn and experience through touch.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Usually that's a sign of hunger, especially being that young. I didn't try to stop my daughter from doing it and she's perfectly content now- she doesn't put her hands in her mouth... but she does put lots of other things... she's nine months now and has been exploring like crazy!! :)
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• DS won't take pacifiers and just wants to suck a lot. He's three months. It's either he sucks on his hands or his blanket and quite frankly if it keeps him from screaming I don't give a rats ass if he does it.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think it's ok. My daughter started to put her fingers in her mouth when she was 4months now she's 6months. I asked the doc and she told me that it's better to have her suck on her finger than pacifiers because later on it's harder to take the pacifier away from her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Like TNM said, my daughter still chews on her fingers (due to teething) and she is almost 18 months old
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009