Looking for Advice

I have a 19 month old son and a 7 month old daughter. Well my baby boy is still kinda jealous of his sister and he hit her some times and pushes her over some times (she's just now sitting up on her own). I don't know why he is doing this. I know he is still ery little and doesn't know any better. I put him in "time out" when he does this to her (most of the time) but he still keeps doing it. AnyAdvice??

tonia_h

Asked by tonia_h at 11:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There may be some jealousy involved. This little person has come in and taken over his mother, LOL! But really, it's a phase (pushing/hitting) that they all go thru about this age. (And a normal part of development.) Regardless of if you have another child. Part of it is that he's not too verbal yet, and he's saying, "Move, come here, etc." in his own way. Just try to intervene and distract him as much as possible. Of course, give him load of attn when she is napping, etc. But this too shall pass. It's only a phase.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son did this when our daughter was born. They are 22 months apart. We started making a time for just him and included him in everything. He helped feed the baby, play with her, change diapers (throw them away, get lotions, etc) We'd let him hold her alot, help read to her. And we'd also have a day set just for him, have grandma or a friend watch the baby and take him to the park, out to eat, and just spend all day for him, let him know he wasnt forgotten. It really helped our son. And he loved having the baby around, she eventually became "his baby" lol.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 11:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009