MOODY 4 y/o

Every since we had to move in with my mom, my daughter has made a complete change in her behavior. Where she would listen and do the things I asked, now it's acting silly, ignoring me, or trying to talk over me!! My mother doesnt help she thinks my husband & I dont have brains enough to raise her, get's mad when we get on to her for bad behavior and tell us we're doing things wrong. So my daughter see's that and follows Nana's actions ... guess my question is how do i politly tell my mother to butt-out and let us correct her. Try to get her back to acting the way she was before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Remain consistent when disciplining your daughter no matter what your mother says or does. AND when your mother acts in a way you find disrespectful, respond in a way that addresses her ACTIONS, not her: "When you do XXX, I feel XXX." Do this with your daughter as well - she's in a new situation and learning new family dynamics. Consistency is key, so don't change your discipline if it's been working, but be ready to adjust it as the situation calls for. Also, if your mother refuses to listen to you, turn your attention to your daughter and explain to HER why you consider your mother's behavior unacceptable and use it as a teaching opportunity about respect and manners. But always try to remain calm and if necessary, speak to your mother in the same respectful tone that you should to your daughter. If she acts like a child, try to teach her why you do what you do, but don't argue. Just make your case and then walk away.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2009