what to do with my son?

He is the only boy and the youngest he feels as though every little boy is his friend.And I keep trying to tell him that but he is probably getting tired of being around all the girls.Anyway he wont tell me when someone is being mean to him or bothering himbecause he thinks that Iwont let himplay with them anymore.This is bothering me alot (you Just dont know)

mamaauntie860

Asked by mamaauntie860 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can relate. When we moved into our neighborhood there was one other boy. He is two years older than my son but they played together. Then I learned he was being mean to my son. My son just wanted to have a boy to play with and didn't wnat to tell me. I put a stop to it and told my son he needs to stand up for himself and one day there will hopefully be more boys to play with in the neighborhood. There still aren't any boys his age (2 years later) but there is another older boy and they play together sometimes. But now when my son has had enough (the other kid is a lot more competitve than my son) they just stop playing together.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Exact same situation with my son, hes the baby and has an older sister. He plays with her all day but when guys older are around he jumps right on (im a single parent). He plays with little boys at school even if they are mean. I try to explain to him that no one is allowed to be mean to you and you put up with it, just walk away n play with someone else. Sometimes he does sometimes he doesnt. I think its the need to feel like they belong, instead of being around all the girly stuff. Ive actually set up playdates with my friends sons who are nice, so that he can play around boys that arent mean. GL
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 11:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Trotterswife: I did the same thing with playdates. When my son started making male friends in school I was like "okay this is good, they don't live in the neighborhood but they can still play" so he's been having his friends spend the night and stuff....trying to get him more interaction with guys (I'm also a single mom).
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009