When should I start giving my twins a pillow to sleep with?

I have twins who are 9 months old and one of my daughters is sleeping on her arm. I was wondering if it would be safe to offer her a small pillow.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 12:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was the one who gave herself a pillow. She found an extra in the house and put it in bed. She was almost 2 if I remember correctly...

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was really nervous so I waited until my son was 11 or 12 months old. You know your child the best. Is she able to untangle herself from her blankets? Does she sleep with a blanket? Is her physical strength enough to the point where she can pull herself to a stand in her crib? Is she very active? Since she is a twin, was she born full-term? If not, you have to consider her adjusted age. My son was very strong, very active, and had been sleeping with blankets. He would even use his blanket as a pillow when he was 9 month old. Around 10 months old, I gave him a small travel pillow. I made sure the pillowcase zipped shut. (Or sew the pillowcase shut.) Now, he is 13 months old, and sleeps with a regular, flat but firm pillow. Avoid feather pillows, or the types are commonly cause allergies. That would increase the risk. Make sure it is not too squishy... just nice and soft, but firm. It should be fine, but there are risks too.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was nervous and didn't give my son a pillow until he was two. I agree with the shadesofgrey mom.
    JAMinJenjen

Answer by JAMinJenjen at 1:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• We gave my son a thin pillow at 11 months
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• None of my kids had pillows until they transitioned to a twin bed, around 2. I have read in a couple places now that it's better for most people to sleep without pillows due to the alignment of their spine, but i'm not a dr.
    When I did give my kids pillows at 2, I gave them pillows that had been well used and were so flat it was almost a negligible difference between having one and not.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2009