But how does the baby get INSIDE you mommy?

My son is 6 and has always had an interest in the human body (my future doctor-ha!). I am a nurse so I have been open with him about names of body parts and how they work (on his level of course) and we read alot of age-appropriate books on the subject.
Recently he has been asking how babies are made. He knows that when a mommy and daddy love each other very much they make a baby. He knows a baby grows inside mommy and has seen how it develops etc....but he wants to know "HOW" it gets in mommy's tummy. I really don't think he should know about how sperm goes from daddy to mommy quite yet: suggestions??? He isn't satisfied with "that special love" bit.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We gave our oldest a copy of the book "where did I come from". It was just right for his age level.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Make sure that you read it before you leave the store, apparently it is controversial. My dh and I did not find it to be, but some do.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Give plant analogies like you plant a seed and fertilize it and then it makes fruit. The same thing happens with a mommy. There are a bunch of cells that only people that are married can make and when all those cells come together they grow and grow until they make a baby. Hopefully that will satisfy him for now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• im 24 weeks pregnant and my 5 year old niece have been asking me all sorts of questions.... i told her that god puts the baby in there... she asked if my hubby could carry the baby... she asked if the baby is dressed in there... now her main question is how exactly does god do it... how exactly does he get the baby in there.... im stuck... i dont know what to say.... her mom sure doesnt... i would hope someone has an answer that sits right with her age...
    DesignDiva21

Answer by DesignDiva21 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son is the same way! I told him daddy gave mommy his sperm and it put with my egg. It seemed to work fo rhim. He loves the body books and knows that men have sperm and girls have eggs and how the baby grows and where. But I had think hard when he asked that question also.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• when my son asks me those 'hard' questions I usually fire back with " well what do you think" and sometimes that is all it takes. If it doesn't work then go get the book that was suggested earlier
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'd just say that daddy put it in there. Kinda true, and fits with what he will learn later.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I told my kids (6 and 4) about the anatomy of a woman's body and that all girls are born with eggs inside her body and that when she is old enough those eggs (that are really small) can grow into a baby in a special place inside a woman's body called the womb. When the baby is big enough it comes down the birth canal and out a hole (between their bottom and where the pee pee comes out) that girls have but boys don't. They also know how melons grow (male and female flowers that need to touch and the bees do this part ) but have not put it all together just yet.
    Anonymous