Do babies drink more when it's hot out?

It might be a silly question but it has been 97 to 100 degrees out and my little girl (1 month) seems to be eating a lot more then she normally does and I was wondering with the heat do they drink more? I don't want to over feed her and have her spit up tons. and I was wondering with the heat how do I keep her comfortable?

holly132

Asked by holly132 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have always fed my babies on demand. If she wants to feed let her. I try not to make the swaddling too tight. You will know if she is not cranky and sleeping well then she is ok so far us she is not running a temp.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 1:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My first was born in the summer. Some days, I would just have him in a onesie or even just his diaper. Yes, they do tend to drink a little more when it's hot. If they're a little older, you can give a little water, but your baby is way too young for that. It's not recommended to give a baby water until about 6 months. My son was a spitter, though, but it didn't seem to get worse when he drank more when it was hot. So I don't think that should be too much of a worry.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She knows when she's full, and when she's full she'll stop eating. Feed on demand. There's no way to over feed a baby that young. She'll spit up regardless- it's extremely hot out. Don't you feel sick if you eat when it's this hot? I do, I feel like puking every time.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's probably a combination of her instinctively warding off dehydration and the beginning of a growth spurt. Growth spurts cause them to eat more, and the first one generally happens around 4-6 weeks.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with HisMommy414
    she'll stop eating when she's full..
    julee82

Answer by julee82 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009