Do you think its fair kids have to go to certain schools based on where they live?

Natasha316

Asked by Natasha316 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in

• I don't feel it's fair, but where I live we can ask for them to be transfered!! I had to drive my child to school everyday last year, but it was the school we wanted him to attend! Now we are building a house in his district so this year he will be able to take the bus:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes I think it is completely fair. People in that district fund it with property taxes. If there isnt enough property taxes then it goes to Federal funding. If someone doesnt want their child to attend the school that corresponds to them I see no problem with them providing their own transportation for their own child to a different school, along with doing open enrollement or being on a waiting list for occupancy. Imagine if we didnt have school districts, certain neighborhoods would be drained in property taxes, and that is what would not be fair!
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 2:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yes! You should have checked the schools ranking before you moved there. That was one of our requirements while we were house hunting. You can do it online. If your not happy move or pay tuition and have your child attend another district.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• oh and please don't attack me........been there. We moved from one of the top school districts in New Jersey state rank top 5 states to a highly recommended school district in South Carolina thats 2 years behind our old district. In a state thats at the bottom. And I hate the schools but District 2 is the best schools in the area. And the school the teachers all recommend for my kids cause of grades yes is private and I can't afford the 15,000 per child to send there. So I suck it up.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Absolutely! We did a lot of research before choosing a school district to search for homes when we moved here. Our property taxes are currently one of the highest in our state and I don't want to have to pay additional property taxes for children who don't live in the district to attend our schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No, its not. We live in a nice area. BUT the schools are horrible. We live in a city bordering a nice town. The schools are corrupt and overpopulated. We have 2 toddlers now, but when they get older we want to buy a house in a nice town where the schools are good OR put them in private school if we are still going to be here when they start kindergarten.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 9:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, completely fair. I pay VERY high property taxes to ensure that my children attend an Exemplary school. Like the PP's said, the schools were our #1 priority when we were house hunting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes it is fair. We moved here knowing the school district ranked pretty high and we figured out which part of the city to move into in order to get our daughter into the highest ranking school with in the district. We are buying a house three blocks away to be able to stay in the area. The property taxes suck but hey its a price worth paying. You do not like the school you're near move. Its a free country you are not stuck living in one small area your entire life.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I just wish my kids could attend our district school. We live around the corner from the local public school. It's close enough they could walk themselves to and from school but the neighborhood is overpopulated so the school is overflowing with kids. And so is every other school in the area. They are on restricted enrollment and don't take transfer students, only new incoming kindergarteners. When we moved here they told us they would bus our then 7yo to another school somewhere else in the city but couldn't tell us where but they would happily take our son who was starting kindergarten. Every single school within a 5 mile radius of our house is like this. It's insane. I have to actually get on a waiting list to get my kids into our local public school that is less then a block away. That's sad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, we moved to the area we wanted our kids to go to school at. That's where my tax $$$ goes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2009