Do you think it is selfish of a parent to put their life in unnecessary danger?

I guess the best example of this would be plastic surgery. For example a mom goes in to have a boob job. Having any type of surgery is dangerous and can be deadly. Other examples would be like driving drunk, doing drugs, driving recklessly, etc.
I know that everyday our life is at risk. But I mean doing things that are dangerous and unnecessary.
Do you think it is selfish as a parent put your life at a higher risk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I do because they have children who need and depend on them and love them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I do think so, ever since I had kids I don't drive the same or do anything like I used to. I would never get any kind of plastic surgery cuz in my opinion that's setting an example of being insecure of who you are, and I don't want my kids growing up with insecurities about there bodies and or how they look, I want them to grow up being happy with who they are and to focus on thing that are more important in life.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's definatley selfish, but unfortunately there's not much you can do other than repot something if you see it. If you know of actual neglect or abuse and don't report it, you're just as bad as the abuser. That includes drinking and doing drugs and driving around your kids. Even if your kids aren't there, would you risk going to jail? Knowing that you're responsable for another life?

My fiance had a drink at his dad's and drove home with my daughter. (Not drunk) I told him next time, I'll report it myself because if he's in an accident and they know he's been drinking, they could say I'm neglectful for letting her go with him. He doesn't believe me, but he hasn't done it since!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I completely agree with looovemybabies. Besides my DD is my whole world and i just had surgery this past friday and i have'nt been able to hold her. I don't come first anylonger once you have children thats who cames first ..............................................
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I do feel when you become a mother your child should be the first thing you consider in all your decisions. However, i would love to have a boob job that will come when we are financially set and after more research. But driving drunk or even driving after a drink I do not agree with! Drugs are a big NO of course, but what about a soldier who goes to protect his country, make a living for his family? He puts himself in danger... is that selfish too?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• OP
    07lilmama No I don't think a soldier going to war for his or her country is unnecessary. Good quesiton though. My dad served 20 yrs in the Army. To me a soldier putting his life in danger would be the same as if someone broke into your house and you defend yourself and children. Defending yourself or your country is a necessary part of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, I do. BTW, anyone that drives under the influence of alcohol or drugs is putting everyone's life at risk, not just their own. There is NO excuse for driving under the influence, none whatsoever. A soldier fighting for our country is no way near selfish, they are putting their lives at risk for the freedom of all, that is one big sacrfice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think when it comes to driving drunk or doing drugs that's one thing, but what if you like adventure, if you have kids should you not skydive because you may have a problem with the chute or go kayaking because you may flip and drown? Walking down the street can be dangerous these days, I think you should take some precautions and use a little common sense but just because you're a parent doesn't mean you can't have fun.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have two sets of children. 3 from my first marriage, and two from my current. My first three are 23, 18 and 15. I had my first when I was only 19. Back when they were little I did not think as much about danger as I do now at 43. My youngest ones are 3 and 4. Now I am very hesitant to let them go around or on bodies of water I cannot see to the bottom, lakes etc. I am more comfortable around pools. My DH has quads...I don't want the boys on them at a young age. With age comes wisdom. I do things a bit more cautiously now.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think drinking and driving and doing recreaional drugs is a very bad thing. But elective surgery ??? no I had the opposite of a "boob job" I had my reduced. my life was not in danger but my back and neck hurt like hell so I elected to have it done....do I feel bad about doing it hell no I would do it again in a heart beat if I had to.
    So I guess we should never go swimming (someone could drown) never fly in a plane (it could crash or be hi-jacked) don't do any banking (it could be robbed)
    I tink there are somethings that are a given as what not to do other things fall into we need to make an educated decision. You take precautions and don't be stupid about the things that you decide to do.
    our family loves racing and when our son comes to us and wants to race we will let him. You cannot live your life in fear of everything or live in a bubble
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2009