does labor get easier the more kids you have?

I was told the more kids you have the less pain you will feel and your labor will be more short than the first

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about that.... because every pregnancy and labor is different, but i think it tends to get shorter (just generally of course) also, the second time around you know what to expect more (unless it was a scheduled c-sec), but sometimes that wioll create more fears depending on your first birth experience. Also, it depends on your decisions for each pregnancy and birth. For instance my first one started off really nice, I wasn't scared or anything and then i got to the hospital and one thing after another caused more problems. (I don't go into detail). After my frist experience I decided I did not want to go through the same thing as my first, so I decided on a homebith and was more active in my decision making. My second birth from start to finish I was in control of making the decision and so I was more at peace with it. My labor was smooth and everything went perfectly... it was truely empowering and beautiful!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Every labor is different, but generally speaking it usually does get easier. I am not sure if it is actually easier, or if we have had the experience before so are armed with knowledge on how our bodies react.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• NOT true. I had 3 babysand the 2ed was the worst for me. Each labor was painful ( well until I got the epidural lol which the epidural failed with the 3re baby) and completely different from the other one. The only thing different is that you know what to expect when you go to the hospital now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• cont. the second birth was easier, less painful, shorter because I was in a place I felt safe and was relaxed and peaceful. With my first I tensed up as soon as we walked in the hospital, and I got even more tense because everyone was making decisions for me (hospital rules etc). That does contribute to slowing down labor, as well as being hooked up to moniter and being less active and mobile during labor). So, in my case I contribute my easier/less painful and faster birth not just becuase he was my second, but because I was free to birth how I felt I needed to.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I had an epidural with both children so I'm probably not the ideal person to ask this question.
    I will say that my first child took 12 hours and I had many post-partum complications. My second child took 9 hours and the post-partum healing was simple:) Both children I was induced with.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• wasnt true for me for me my first was the easiest i have had 3 kids and my tired hurt worse than the first and second and was longer. I was in labor for 8 hours with my third..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My second labor was much easier than the first one. There were less complications but every labor is different. My aunt had 7 children 6 natural and the last one with an epidural because of the way that the baby was positioned (feet by her head butt first...ouch.)She told me that it gets easier with each one because you know what to expect and it doesn't hurt as much as the previous one. One thing that nobody told me was that with bfing the contractions are more painful after each child because you stretch more with each baby. A nurse told me that while I was nursing my youngest and saying I don't remember this hurting so bad the 1st time. It's totally wort the lil bit of extra pain though
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 3:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• They are easier in that you know what to expect, but IME they did not get less painful or shorter. My first was 6 hours, my second was 2 hours and my third was 14 hours so go figure.The most painful BY FAR was my 2nd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My mom had 4 kids...with me she had pain medication, with my little brother she was too far along for any pain meds and she said it hurt like hell, then my first little sister she didnt have anything but she only weighed 4lbs 13oz and she said it wasnt that bad, then with my 2nd little sister she had to have an epidural and I was 16 and watched the birth and I could tell she was in a lot of pain. So I think every pregnancy is different and I think it kinda depends on your age...my mom was 21 when she had me and she had my last little sister at 38 and said my little sister was the worst pain and labor.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I currently have 3 children and am 32 weeks along with #4. I wouldn't say there was less pain with each labor but in my case each labor did go quicker. With my first child, I had my baby 2 hours after my doctor broke my water. I pushed for 20 minutes. With my second child, I got to the hospital at 9pm, my doctor broke my water at 9:30pm and my son was born at 10:04pm after pushing through 3 contractions. With my third child I was induced with cervidil at 38 weeks. I went from 0 to 10cm between 5:30pm and 1:45am. My water broke on it's own and my baby was born a couple of minutes later. It happened so fast the doctor wasn't even ready to catch her and she was born on the bed. I had to tell my doctor the baby was out.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 1:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009