we have a dog (boxer)and he's in a pen,but toady he got out and when I got home from church today his fot and leg is swollen.What would the vet do just put a splint on it or what ??

He can't put it on the ground .

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pets

• I have a boxer too. They are very tempermental. She gets bumps all over and gets all swollen, within a day it goes down. She has had injuries before where her foot get swollen and she wont put it down. I give her a 325 of asprin. Look it up online to see whats good for your dogs weight. But I would do that and if no improvement call the vet in the am.

Answer by Masonsmom407 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well the vet would probally do exrays. Our dog broke her leg once and had to have two surgeries...and she has rods in her leg now. If your dog starts knawing at it they will do a cone on thier head too cause a dog will eat their leg off (for lack of a better word!) Good luck. I would probally take to an emergency vet if it was my dog.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 7:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• aspirin could cause damage to your dog's stomach.

• You can give a dog aspirin. (That is the pain reliever you should give a dog.) My dog broke his leg and had to have surgery about 4 years ago. He had a couple pins put in it. If you think it is broken- you should take him to the vet. If the dog isn't seeming incredibly uncomfortable- if he is just avoiding using that leg but isn't panting heavily or crying out when you try to touch him- it could just be a sprain. In that case, I would limit his activity. (Put him in a kennel/pet carrier if you have one.) And let him rest. If you give him aspirin- I know vets usually recommend St. Joseph's baby aspirin.

Answer by FriendlyJas at 8:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Please take your dog to a vet! He could be causing more harm walking around on it like that and you'll end up with a larger vet bill. To say nothing of the fact that the poor thing sounds like he's in pain.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You might want to make sure he doesn't have a snake bite. If he is whining and laying around alot that could be what he has.

Answer by lisafc at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Take the dog to the Vet. He could have a series injury and not having it treated will cause more harm. Good luck.

• Do you see any kind of marks on the leg, it doesn't have to be near where the swelling is, but it sounds like it is possibly an abscess(an infected wound that filled up with pus) they can grow pretty fast, and sometimes the wound is really tiny and hard to see through the fur, but i would have him checked my your vet for sure, is he using the leg at all? If he is using it is is PROBABLY not broken, but i have seen cases where the will use the leg despite the pain(i was a vet tech for 4 years)more then likely it's an abscess, or sprain, if he will let you check the leg, foot and pads for any sign of injury and that will give you a better idea of what to tell the vet when you call, good luck

Answer by Rachel1786 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• The vet is probably going to clean the leg and look for cuts and abrasions and make sure that none of them are infected. The vet will also more than likely take an x-ray to make sure the dog didnt break a bone or stove it. Then depending on there results the dog could get a splint and probably would recieve an antibiotic or something incase of an infection. Dogs are on there legs constantly so infections can get worse pretty fast. Id take it to the vet and go from there.

Answer by MafianPrincess at 12:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• If your dog has pain take him to the vet .

Answer by Mel at 6:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2008