possible ADHD?

i have a 4 yr old daughter who never seems to be able to sit down or concentrate on anything for longer than 5 mins at least...she gets very frusterated when it seems like her mind is goin faster than she can say what she wants to. i know shes only 4...but could she possibly have ADD or ADHD?? my aunt recognized it, as her son had ADD when he was younger...but my daughter will be goin to school for the first time in September & im worried that if somethings wrong she wont settle in class. when she gets in trouble she cant/wont concetrate on me when im talking to her & when i ask what i just said she cant tell me... i dont know what to do...& am very worried its something other than "just being a kid". shes so moody & gets so upset if something isnt the way she wants it. (i.e a toy in the wrong spot) she uses lines & patterns while shes playing...like lining up her toys in a perfect line, or a perfect circle...

please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a DD with ADHD and I refused to believe it until she started school and the teacher was seeing all the symptoms of ADHA and expressed all her feelings to me. I am her parent and was totally against meds an didn't want to believe that my DD had ADHD and of course we were ust to her behavior and did the best we could. So I finally took her to the doctor and explained that I really didn't want to put her on meds but she talked in into the drug concerta and I am grateful for that medicine because it has helped my DD focus in school as well as home. My DD is so much happier now and has change for the better. This medicine didn't make her all drowsy and like a vegetable ( which is why I didn't want her on meds to began with). I would say you need to talk with your doctor about her behavior and set the best treatment plan for your DD. Good luck this can be a hard road. research any meds that they may put her on.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't try to diagnose anything this early. I had ADHD and they experimented with a lot of drugs and made my life miserable. I'd try to look further into what she's thinking and different alternatives to deal with it. Teach her how to deal with different situations early on. Maybe she's super smart and gets bored. Maybe she's just being a kid. Let her express herself. Let her be different.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh, and if she's too worked up to concentrate when something's wrong, try to just give her a break until she calms down. Then, go back calmly, make her look at you and repeat what you're saying back after, so you make sure she understands everything clearly. Most kids that are diagnosed with add are super smart, you just have to know how to work with them.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She sounds more bright than anything - the fact that her mind goes to fast for her to catch up is pretty normal for this age - her brain is making all the connections, but her verbal skills are not there yet. As for the lining up and patterning - this may be her way to focus her mind - use it as a positive tool, not as a sign that there's "something wrong." I learned early on that when my son became upset, he needed to put things in order to help him calm down. When he was in his room, he would pull out his puzzles while in think time...and if he didn't have puzzles, he would pull out his clothes drawers, line them up, then put them away. Also, teach her calming techniques - like how to take deep breaths (like going swimming or blowing up a balloon) and then letting it go. Do this over and over to help her learn breathing as a calming technique so that no matter what life throws at her, she'll always have a way to calm down.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• cont...Take these aspects (orderliness, patterning, quick thinking) as positive traits and find ways of using them to strengthen her. She likes everything to be in order? Get lots of bins and boxes for her toys and books, help her label them (words and pictures) and then she'll have a place for everything. She likes to line things up? Give her lots of different things and try grouping them by color, pattern, topic (animal, vehicle, whatever), or give her geometric blocks of different shapes and see what she can create with them. Puzzles are great to help focus the mind as well. When she's frustrated that she can't express herself, acknowledge her frustration, but be patient and teach her how to be patient with herself. Give her outlets for her natural tendencies and don't start labeling her with ADHD. Sometimes children have the symptoms because of environmental factors, not because of chemical or biological causes.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well I can tell you this from my experience. The doctor's not going to want to put her on meds (if thats even the route you want to go) until she is 5 or very close to starting school. Also, that diet with no artificial dyes (red, blue orange) REALLY WORKS!
    And I also found out that *my* doctor doesn;t seem to mind that this child is going to drive me CRAZY before Aug 6th which is when she wants to put him on meds. So if you;re going through anything like I am, I will def. keep you in my prayers!
    MEGAMAMA4REAL

Answer by MEGAMAMA4REAL at 10:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The lines and patterns thing along with extreme moodiness can be signs of Autism.
    bamatamimom

Answer by bamatamimom at 9:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2009