• In the Spotlight:

What do you do with a touchy feely child? Christian insight needed?

I do not want her to touch other kids but she thinks she can like in their face ect., a little too friendly? does she need a therapist? only 5

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just talk to her about personal space and how we only touch our family on the face. Just say " sometimes people don't like to be touched on their face." I wouldn't discourage it, it's part of her personality. Just explain what other people don't like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Is somebody being to touchy feely with her jus wondering because it is possible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sounds like a normal loving child to me. If you want her to change her personality to fit in with your religious beliefs maybe someone in your 'religious social set' can help. If you think a 5 year old, warm natured child needs to see a therapist because she loves to physically express her joy and happiness with her friends I would be more inclined to use my financial resources on myself seeing a therapist.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i'd have to agree with waxinglyrical....kids touch each other all the time..as long as they are being nice and showing affection, what's the problem?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sounds like a normal 5 year old to me... You can try to discourage her by saying "Some people don't like XXX behavior" or distracting her with some other activity. However, she will most likely grow out of this behavior anyway as she gets older, and if you make too big of a deal out of it it may cause the problem to get worse- not better.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sounds fairly normal. My son likes to hug his friends. He is 7. Many kids dont like this and I think its possible that they arent used to a lot of affectionate behavior. In our home, we are quite touchy feely for those who are receptive but we do also respect personal space. Just teach her about how others might not like to be touched and help her learn boundaries. Its just a good lesson for everyone anyway. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No to the therapist but teach her about boundries, safe touches and respecting others wishes. My oldest got into trouble in kindergarten for hugging too much. We had to make a rule that you ask before you hug.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2009