is it wrong to punish your kid by not giving them supper?

my daughter is 9 and has 3 chores everyday. clean her room clean the cat box and walk the dog. my husbands rule is that if she doesnt finish her chores by 8pm she doesnt get any dinner.its excused if were not home most of the day or something but usually she gets distracted and it takes her hours to pick up 4 or 5 things off the floor because she starts drawing or reading a book or fixing her hair then she doesnt get dinner and i feel really bad for not feeding her and my husband says shes not gonna starve and this is the only way to get her to focus on what shes doing because she really likes food alot.

mudgirl

Asked by mudgirl at 3:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Probably not a good idea ): I'm using a new discipline method. Pick a punishment that fits the crime. Like if my kids talk back, then they get no cell/house phone for the day. If they come home late (even 5 minutes) then their curfew for next outing will be set a hour earlier.

I would suggest that if her chores aren't done by 8, then make her start doing the dinner dishes instead of not giving her dinner. Ya know what I mean.

To each their own, good luck!

Mother_2_Three

Answer by Mother_2_Three at 2:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• that is abuse, yes she needs to be healthy you need to sneak her dinner mom! kids first not stupid husband! the idiot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• its not wrong, but it may make her start eating more during other meals, to keep from being hungry for dinner. She should be getting 3 meals a day, but its not going to hurt for her to miss meal or two during the day. I only ate once a day when i was a kid, and i've never had weight issues, or anything
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would say yes...
    When she gets distracted take away whatever is distracting her...not the food she needs to grow and thrive. She NEEDS food in order to be healthy, its not just something people like it has a purppose...take other things away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She is old enough to do what is asked of her. Dinner is not a good punishment IMO, but if it works for you....do it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Every kid is different, if it works and she starts doing her chores than great but if not then I would try something else. She is not going to starve but if it becomes a nightly thing then you should go to the next thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There are plenty of other things you can do. Like, if she leaves stuff on the floor, she gets it taken away, can't see her friends outside of school, etc. If she's drawing during that time, take it away until she does what you want. And if she still doesn't do it, she has a half hour to eat and then it's straight to bed.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• ground her instead no movies ect.,
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You need to get her daughter away from your hubby. THIS IS ABUSE.............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes it is wrong, it is called NEGLECT. Food should NEVER be used as a punishment. All your daughter needs to do is tell her teacher that she is made to go to bed without dinner because she didn't do her chores or whatever and CPS will be at your door in a heartbeat. Your children will be taken from school into protective custody. She can be grounded. priveleges taken away, toys, etc taken away but she should NEVER be not given dinner or any other meal as a punishment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009