Would you let your 9 year old child

roam the area you live in? I have a friend that lets her 9 year son go to friends houses O about up to 6 blocks away and lets him just do anything like that. Now I have spoken up because this is not a great part of town and he is only 9. I have caught him on main roads and much further than 6 blocks away and told my friend and she said he is a boy and can defend himself. I guess I dont understand because I wont let my 15 year old son do whatever he wants, he has to tell us where he is going and has to check in at cretain times. Plus we live on the better side of town even though that dont matter rather somebody would kidnap a child. Am I to protective or is her way right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• she is nuts that lil boy may be a easy target for any perv show her magans law list in your area that will wake her up and give you the siccos addresses
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree. Some people just don't think and then we see them on CNN or 20/20 claiming they don't know why their kid was a victim of rape or kidnapping or worse. No, I have 2 girls. They wont be out of my site until they're 30! LOL
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 4:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I live in ND and honestly I would LOVE for my son to explore the neighborhood. I ask him to leave the house to find some friends around the neighborhood, but he's too shy:( Nothing negative/scary happens around here and we live in a great area, neighborhood wise and state wise. This question is hard for me to understand, because I would love for my child to be a little more outgoing. He won't leave the house without me!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• you are so ignorant of this twisted sick society and predators are in nice houses too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• NO WAY I watch way to much Law and Order SVU sickkos target little boys just as much as little girls. I wouldn't let my boys walk around alone even if I lived in the best neighborhood perves are everywhere.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My kids are allowed to go to their friends houses on our street but that's it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No way would my kids be wandering 6 blocks or more away. I do however let my kids play outside alone as I check on them through the window constantly. I also let my oldest (7) visit her friends who live within three houses away. I live out in the country, on a dead end street, and I know all my neighbors. I feel ok letting them out without me hovering but I do keep an eye on them weather they know it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank goodness I live in the middle of no where surroned by nothing but corn fields. It is like natures privacy fence. I let the kids outside w/out me but only if another sibling is out with them, never alone. . They are limited to the section of acreage I can see out the window.
    The NEXT house over (about 2 miles away) is rented to a registered sex offender. There is NO leaving the yard.
    I would never allow this in town. Bad people live everywhere. Run a offender check it you doubt me.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• We live in a not so great neighborhood and I don't let my older kids 18 and 15 go anywhere by themselves. There are no do-overs when it comes to something terrible happening to your kids. Male of female.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• no way.....not in this day and age....too many wierdos out there
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009