If you go to family court because ex SUDDENLY wants visitation after all these years, do you have I have to take my son?

I know I live a simple life but one of the things Iworried about in my journal was the DNA test that Mr.X wanted but now went back on. Now he wants to sue me for something I have always been ready to give to him.....visitation. Will my son have to go in person? I told him about it and he said, I DON'T WANT TO MISS SCHOOL MOM! PLEASE JUST TELL DADDY!! My son has never missed a day of school and he is very proud of it. He heard about a scholarship he can get for not missing a day and he wants it so bad, He is going into 5th grade. Do I have to make him miss school?

Mamasita98

Asked by Mamasita98 at 4:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Unless ordered by the court do not take your son. There is no reason for it. Nasty or not they wouldn't understand what is going on and could stress them for no reason. If ex does get visitation then they will schedule these after school hours. Be friendly and courteous in court. Take all papers backing up your case. Even if you have an attorney there may be that elusive paper that you would have in your records. I'd also bring a 8 x 10 photo of your son and sit it on your desk facing the judge if allowed. It allows the judge to have a picture of what your son looks like instead of him just being another name on his case file.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You don't have to take him unless it states other wise in the court order papers.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Make that clear when you go to court. Maybe call the lawyer or da and ask if he has to be there with you. IDK why they would want a minor child to be there to watch an ugly custody battle anyways. But, it's always best to double check.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 4:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• tcarter, it is not even an ugly custody battle, ex-husband realized he could pay less child support if he "suddenly" wantd to see son. So he went with it. I wrote a journal post because I didn't want to ramble on here. Thanks for advice.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 5:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't take my child to a custody hearing unless the judge/court papers summoned him. If it is a "friendly thing" it shouldn't require your son.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 8:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No, he will not have to miss school...Courts will set up visitation with a super goal your son is aiming for in mind when setting the dates and times. But, be sure to tell them up front about this before any ruling. Best of Luck~ Karen
    Joyo4

Answer by Joyo4 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No a young person in the middle of a custody battle has no business in the court room unless specifically ordered by a judge. Leave him in school.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2009