My two week old breast fed newborn is very fussy and cries constantly. Nothing works other than putting him to the breast and he feeds every hour until 3am. I worry that the milk supply has gone down but he is making wet diapers. Why would he need to feed so often? We've tried every other way to calm him down but this is the only thing that makes him stop crying. PLEASE HELP.

nlv76

Asked by nlv76 at 5:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• firstly, if he is having enough wet diapers, dont worry!!! newborns have just gone through a very traumatic experience-birth. so it is natural that a baby wants the thing that soothes them the most- their mother. newborns commonly want to nurse almost constantly,its normal, though it can be very tiring! i would get a sling, so baby can gain the comfort of your smell, voice and rhythm of your body.
    keep up the great work breastfeeding, after you get over the initial hump, you wont regret sticking it out. it is such a special experience, and so worth the initial effort!
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sorry to hear of your distress. I was there 3 months ago and my dd would constantly nurse also. I was so afraid that she was getting TOO attached to the breast and such. First I was told that she should only have been latched onto the breast each side for about 10 mins and the milk is gone. She was using the boob as her pacifier. I had her latched on for an hour at least because she would still be sucking. You can check if you have milk by unlatching him and squeezing to see if milk comes out. If there's more milk, let him drink up again. Also, try different positions of feeding. It is a special experience as katiemum says and you won't regret doing it. If you feel sharp pains in the boob while feeding or he gets fussy, you maybe or he maybe developing thrush.. we got it and didn't know..if you see white stuff in his mouth that doesn't wipe off, that's and indication of thrush. both of u will need antibiotics.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 6:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It may also be colic. :-( That is rough, but like someone else mentioned, try a sling and wear your baby. See if that helps keep him calm. Maybe he is just figuring out this nursing thing and will regulate to something else soon. I hope so. It is so rough having a baby who crys all the time.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Maybe he is using you for a pacifier. Offer him a pacifier to suck on to comfort him.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• it sounds like he has colic... my son did it was so frustrating i wanted to die
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son was like that... he unfortunately was lactose intolerant and had GERD & colic... misery...
    Keep an eye out for other symptoms (gas, major spit-up, upset right after eating,) and talk to the ped if you notice anything.

Also - Try swaddling him and turning on some white noise to soothe him. Google "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Good luck. Message me if you like!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• At 3 weeks babies go through a growth spurt. They nurse CONSTANTLY to increase your milk production to meet their growing demands. When this happened, my daughter was nursing about every hour. Two weeks doesn't seem abnormal to his this growth spurt stage...3 weeks isn't a set in stone age.

The first few weeks, and sometimes months can prove to be very taxing. Just relax, and know by the dipe count, your baby is getting enough nourishment. You're doing a great job mama. Just keep it up, and if you really suspect something is wrong, call your pedi.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son had colic and they thought Gerd but he never spit up - although he cried while eating also. its SO Hard if it is colic - white noise of static radio helped,. white noise of a loud fan? car rides helped sometimes.... ASK for help so you don't get too frustrated. my son's colic lasted for 5 months and it started being 14 hours a day so I know its hard!!!! you WILL need a break so find trusting people to help so you can rest! you may have to switch to bottles if it doesn't get better so you can sleep -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It sounds like a newborn to me. He's about to hit another growth spurt. Keep with it! I know it's hard but after 6 -8 weeks it does get easier!! If he's still fussy at week 4, maybe try to eliminate dairy from your diet. Emi was "colicy" but it was really allergies making her miserable. If you do eliminate dairy it can take 4-6 weeks before it's out of your system.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• This is growth spurt behavior. It does NOT mean that you do not have enough milk. It is nature's way of increasing your supply to keep up with your growing baby. Let baby nurse as much as he wants to. It will pass in a day or two (maybe more). Just beware that growth spurts are very frequent in the first few months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009