Can V8 Fusion be the cause of her rash?

My daughter is 13 months old (almost 14 months) and her pediatrician recommended V8 Splash/Fusion to increase veggie & fruit intake. I gave her one cup of V8 Fusion, Strawberry Banana and she loved it. The next day, however, I noticed red bumps all around her neck, around her nipples, and a little bit on her torso. She doesn't seem irritated by them, but obviously they concern me. Could this be from the V8 Splash -the tomato juice part of it.... acidity maybe???? If so, what do I do?

MamaSmiff

Asked by MamaSmiff at 6:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds more like a virus my daughter had. The rash typically appears on the torso. I would think if it was the drink she would have gotten the rash on her mouth first or her rear (my son gets BAD diaper rashes from foods that irritate him).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's hard to say, but since it was from a new food she drank then it is a possibility. I'd let the rash go away and then introduce what V8 fusion has in it one by one over several days. If nothing, then I'd try V8 Fusion again watered down and see. It may well be a virus, like micheledo said, but I'd take food precautions just in case.

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Has your daughter had real strawberries before? They are a very common allergy food. Let the rash go away, then try to give her each food in the V8 Splash one at a time. Also, Juicy Juice also makes a "hidden" veggie version that would be much better for kids. :)
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 7:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son is allergic to strawberry. My dh can't stand the fish the put on these beverages
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son gets red spots -looks more like red freckles almost when he's allergic to things, I woudl say YES, the V8 would be the cause. He doesn't get bothered by them either but if he has more of something his body isn't tolerating right now, he will get ezcema on his butt.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would say the V8 caused it and, as a PP suggested, that strawberries could be the culprit. I would introduce them one at a time. PS-If she is allergic to strawberries, she could outgrow it later. You also might try the drinkable yogurts if she's able to drink from a straw.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009