How much longer?

My daughter told me she found hair on her "kitty" (her privates) and she was excited I however wasnt The first thought that went through my mind was How much longer till she starts her period? We have had the talks we are always talking about body changes and periods and all that so shes comfortable (as comfortable as a 9 year old can be) with whats going to be happening but i need to know how much longer?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my sd age 9 at the time statred a light period....nothing heavy or brutal but light, i think it was a way of her body saying get ready.. and i know kids start younger now ( maybe something in the chicken lol ) only down fall her mom gave her a choice of pads or tampons. ( me and dh discussed with bm that tampons for a 9 yr old is not good and why. ) thankfuly sd wanted pads..now i have a 12 yr old that has hair down there now and she still hasent started but shes ready if it does.as long as u prepair her and have talked with her your good. also to make sure to say if u start it in school its ok to go up to your teacher or speak with the nurse..good luck its the it can statrt at any time...i was 10 when i first had mine..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Different girls will start at different ages..I have seen it as early as age 8. Our elementary school even put in a pad/tampon dispenser. Thank you for talking to your daughter about it.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 7:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Good for you for talking to her early!!! I got mine at 9, and had no clue! I was hysterical thinking I was dying or something. My parents just didn't know that it could happen that early. Sounds like your daughter will be getting hers early, but you have prepared her well for it. Good job!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was told by my girls Dr. that between 18 and 24 months after getting hair they would start their periods. And It seemed to be right on target. Also it was very irregular when it started. One dd got it in July and then not again till Jan. The talks are the best way to go, so she is not scared when it does happen and she knows what to do if your not around.
    Good luck this is just the beginning!!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I talk to my daughter to , and also told her she needs to start caring a little purse with her and carry a pad just in case she starts when she is away from home..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• wallmom1 is right. You might see a little bit of hair when puberty first begins but the period is the last thing to come. The whole process takes 18 mos to 24 mos to complete. My daughter started puberty at age 10 right around her birthday. She is now just over 11 and about halfway through the process. By her birthday, age 12, she should be ready to start. I am praying that she is at least 12 before it starts...I was 11 and my older dd was 11 too. She has awhile so just keep an eye on her. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Generally, a girl starts her period at the same age as her mother.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I guess we can never know exactly how long it will take....and as a mother, I think it is hard for us as well. The younger they are, the harder it is.....My daughter was 12 and I didn't like the feeling it gave me when she started. It took some getting used to. And it is a lot for a really young girl to have to deal with, even if they do know about it and what to expect. Of course if the child has no idea what to expect, it would be downright traumatic! So, make sure she knows what she needs to know....and then try not to worry about it too much.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I started my period at 9 years old.. Can't remember when I first started noticing hair there though. The best thing you can do is just prepare her by talking to her and having stuff around the house just incase. There is no definate way to know how long after she will start.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My daughter was 7 when we first noticed hair there. The doctor isn't too worried yet. He told me they generally start withing 2 years of first having breast tissue. According to some people she will start at 8 or 9. In my opinion that is too early, but what can we do?
    Caitlynnsmom

Answer by Caitlynnsmom at 6:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009