Be Honest...

Please, I ask that I recieve the most honest answers...
Is it odd, weird, strange, bad, even, that my 5 year old calls me by my first name, Julie? Instead of something like, "mommy" or "mama"...?
I get peculiar looks when we are about and my son turns to me and says, "Hey, Julie, look at this... Hey, Julie, can we buy this?... Hey, Julie, what time is it?"
Upon the looks, some folks may even come up to me and ask, "Did your child really just call you by your name?... Did he call you JULIE??"
For some reason, I don't think it is as strange as I have felt others views upon us. It really doesn't bother me, but as a mother, I wonder, "It this bad?"
I have only one child, my 5 year old.
Please be honest. Thanks! :)

evilive

Asked by evilive at 7:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's bad at all. I wanted to do the same thing but was told that when they use your first name, it's losing respect. They say that your child can't be your friend and view you at the same level as their other friends. If you are ok with it, then by all means, screw society's perception.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you. As soon as my son learned to talk, he has called my Julie. It seems normal now. When he'd first say it, I'd say, "It's momma", but as time progressed it just stuck. And now I'm Julie. I really don't mind it, but my family even is like, "Whaa? He calls you Julie?" We laugh about it. It's very all right with them, too. I just don't see the "=O omg!" factor of the whole thing...
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 7:45 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If it is ok for you, and you don't feel disrespected, then it is ok. I would personally not like my kids to call me by my first name. I am MOM. I love to be called Mom. I think that the OMG factor comes from the fact it is unconventional.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 7:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If it's okay with you then that's fine. Personally there is no way I would let my kids call me Melissa. My name is Mom, Momma, Mama, Mommy, Mother, Ma......any variation of that is fine. I am their Mother, therefor that's my name. I think it's a personal choice though.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with say tay :)
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Personally, I find it disrespectful, but you're the one who has to be okay with it.

I'm "Mommy", my husband is "Daddy", our siblings are "Aunt......" or "Uncle....." and the grandparents are "Grandma" or "Grandpa". We consider them to be titles, of sorts I guess. Along the lines of Mrs, Miss or Mr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• IMO it puts you and your son on the same "level". There should be a natural respect b/w parents and children and I feel it crosses the line when your child calls you by your first name. You are his mom not his friend. Besides, I would miss being called "mommy". I work too hard for it!!!! LOL ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Like the PP, I would miss being called "Mommy"- I'm the only person my child will ever call mommy and that's special! When he is a bit older, it will be a loss of respect issue as he will look at you on the same level as his friends at school, etc. However, if you are fine with it now, then its really no one else's business what he calls you. Its completely up to you!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Lol! I do miss him calling me momma sometimes. I dont mind it. I dont want to confuse him anymore than he must be. Right now, Im Julie. He knows that I am also momma. Once in a while I will get a "Hey, momma" moment.
    The funny part is, His dad gets the daddy treatment. Lol! He gets called dada all the time, not "Bert."
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have a stepson who calls me by my name, and so when my oldest son was learning to talk he tried a few times to call me by my name also. It didn't stick, and he went back to mommy. He is 5 now, and the other day in the car he stated that he was going to start calling me by my name. I asked him why? and he said because it's my name, so why not? I said ok, whatever you want. And he went right back to calling me mommy. I wouldn't mind at all if he really did call me by my name. Everyone else does. But I don't actively encourage it. Like the other posters, I waited so long to have children of my own to call me mommy; I would very much like to hold on to that title.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009