First-Timer

My 5 year old will be entering his first year of school this year. I am nervous, yet excited for him. I know school is nothing like it was when I was in school.
Parents, what should be expected? For me? What's in store? For my son? I am certain that I will be a cryer. My son on the other hand is so ready to leave home and meet other 5 year olds. Any other children at that! He will not be a cryer, for sure, this I know. I have 4 more weeks with my baby. 4 more weeks of awesome summer time! I am not ready to let go!:( But it is very time he venture into the world.
Anyone with me on this?

evilive

Asked by evilive at 7:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in

• He is going to do great! And you will too! I remember my son's first day of school! I couldn't believe how little he looked against that big school bus! But he came home just excited as could be. Of course I cried for several days, but then his excitement started rubbing off at me. If possible, get involved in his school, whether it's through the PTO or being a Room Mother if you have time. Stay in contact with his teacher and don't hesitate to ask him/her any questions.

Don't worry! It does get easier! :-) Good luck to you!
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you so much! I cant believe 5 years have passed me by so quickly and now its school-time! Eek! Time really does fly. Im just so gonna miss the days when we'd sleep in till noon and wake up to watch cartoons while eating poptarts. Life calls for him now. And Its time I step aside and have him live. Thanks once again for sharing your story! :)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 8:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• don't cry in front of him....that will make him feel bad and guilty. Be excited for him just like he is excited. I have been thru this 2 X ....funny story when I sent my oldest (who is now 22) to kindergarten I sat bt the phone for the first 2 weeks of school convinced they would call me for advice....lol Like this was the schools first time dealing with a kindergartner.....lol
    you will both do just fine
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Number one, make is a special day, make his favorite breakfast (he will enjoy it and you will stop fussing over him leaving) Number two, DO NOT CRY in front of him, Number three, do not say how much you will miss him (this will make him worry about leaving you) Number four, when the teacher says leave, say your goodbyes and walk away with a smile on your face. Number five when you go to pick him up ask about his day and what he did and alway tell him how proud you are of his accomplishments. Number six - alway encourage him. Number seven - kiss and hug him and hold him because the 5 years did go quickly and someday you will be sending him off to college. Good luck.
    Mombecmar

Answer by Mombecmar at 3:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• he will be fine maybe it will take some time adjusting to it but please don't cry in front of him!! that only makes it harder on the kids!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 9:50 AM on Aug. 2, 2009