Obesity related diseases account for 10% of all health care costs, what can we do?

(Reuters) - Obesity-related diseases account for nearly 10 percent of all medical spending in the United States or an estimated $147 billion a year, U.S. researchers said Monday.

They said obese people spend 40 percent more -- or $1,429 more per year -- in healthcare costs than people of normal weight.

"It is critical that we take effective steps to contain and reduce the enormous burden of obesity on our nation," Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told a news conference at a CDC obesity meeting where the study was presented.

"Reversing obesity is not going to be done successfully with individual effort," Frieden said. "It will be done successfully as a society."

The CDC outlined 24 new recommendations on how communities can combat obesity in their neighborhoods and schools encouraging healthier eating and more exercise.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE56Q36020090728
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The government will go broke trying to solve this. People are responsibly for their own choices. Unless the government is going to step in and be the ultimate nanny state, WHICH IS WRONG, people need to be ACCOUNTABLE. But when you begin to offer FREE health care, you take away the incentive to make their lives better.... I stay healthy because I don't want diabetes and heart disease(both extremely prevalent in my family)... I don't want to pay for all the meds my family members do. NOR to I want the Dr bills. So I work to stay healthy. IMO, if MORE people are on a public health care option, the incentive for making personal choices to prevent obesisty related diseases, just won't be there...  jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well given time if the dems would miraculessly maintain control you can count on food control so it won't be a problem. Libs have already tried banning fast food in NY.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• IMO, What the government can do is (continue to) restrict entitlement programs already in place with better nutrition options as well as offer community services to show people how they can excersise (parks, rec centers, at home, etc) for little to no money.

I would say offer greater faith based incentives for groups like Hillel and YMCA to provide free health chocie and excersise related programs opened to all members of the community, but I know the secular progressives will poo poo that idea.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Maybe they'll outlaw carbs next!

Or start putting fat warnings on everything.

WARNiNG: consumption of this product may cause excess weight gain, sleepiness, and loss of energy.

Translation: eat this crap and you are gonna get a fat azz.

Or they can ration out the crap! Coupons each week for how many cookies and how much butter your family can consume.

Obviously I'm being funny, but individuals (without medical metabolism problems) choose to est like crap and get fat. Why does society need to fix it?

Personal responsiblity! The information is out there, and yet people are eating deep fried oreos, while we eat organic veggies from my garden.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The government will go broke trying to solve this. People are responsibly for their own choices. Unless the government is going to step in and be the ultimate nanny state, WHICH IS WRONG, people need to be ACCOUNTABLE. But when you begin to offer FREE health care, you take away the incentive to make their lives better....

OK, but they are costing the system 147 BILLION a year....how do you hold them accountable?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:07 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• imo, it will cost MORE to hold them accountable... Obesity related diseases are moreso about personal choices one makes for them and their family.

Are you saying the government should take MORE of people's personal choices away? Plus I think this is an issue for individual states and local governments to decide... For instance, if state and local officials in working with Federal grants (for example) were to offer people the opportunity to buy Farmers Market Cards that could be applied to tax credits~then the local community is supporting farmers and eating more healthy.... But to step in and be more of a nanny state is taking it too far.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Are you saying the government should take MORE of people's personal choices away?

Heck no, I'm asking what are some solutions. It's 10% of the costs associated with health care. I believe thats way more than the illegals I'm always hearing about...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sweet, Illegals are still a rising problem. In 2008, they accounted for 5% of most states health care costs and 10% in Texas and California.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-01-21-immigrant-healthcare_N.htm

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sweet, Illegals are still a rising problem. In 2008, they accounted for 5% of most states health care costs and 10% in Texas and California. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-01-21-immigrant-healthcare_N.htm

and fat lazy Americans are an even bigger one (PUN INTENDED LOL) so I'm asking..you all have opinions about the illegals, what about the Americans that are costing even more $$$

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2009