Why do moms of an only child get criticized for staying at home while moms of multiple children get admiration?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think if you can afford to be a SAHM, that's is admirable to take advantage of that. Why pay someone else to raise your kids, If you can afford to do so!?
    MEGAMAMA4REAL

Answer by MEGAMAMA4REAL at 10:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Do you mean moms who have more than 1 child, not necessarily the same age? Or moms of multiples? I just didnt quite understand your wording. What kind of admiration do you want? The state of life that your in is only 1 child. The time will come and you will have more than 1 as well. Being a person who has been at home with 1, then 2, then 3 and now 4, its a lot harder. Theres more work involved and there is no naptime. Taking care of a baby or toddler is easy, but trying to entertain, and raise tweens and teens is whats hard. Youre doing whats best for your child by staying home with him/her and dont let anyone tell you differently. You dont need admiration from anyone to know youre doing a good job. I would say I would like my husband to tell me how much he appreciates it and how much he loves it...thats all I would need. You wont get what you want from other moms. They just wont do it. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think that any mom doing her best to raise her child or children should deserve admiration. Yes, the more children the harder it is in some ways. But that doesn't mean that there is less admiration for a mother with just one child either.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't think that is necessarily true. I have 5 kids and there is a lot of people who look down on working moms. But what good is my time at home with them if we have no roof over our heads? I have been both a working mom and a sahm. There is guilt on both sides of that coin. My DH stays at home with our LO's. There is a lot of guilt for him as well, having me be the bread winner. The economy is terrible so we do what we have to do. Just do your best, be thankful you can stay home with your child. Let criticism fall on deaf ears.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Somebody will look down on you no matter what you do.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009