When Did Your Child(ren) First Go To "Church"?

Or at least have the talk about "God"? Or religion, even?
I remember being a kid and hated going to church on Sundays. MY weekend. My time off from school and I have to spend all day in a huge building talking about someone I dont know? I absolutely hated it.
Now that I have a child, I still have the same views. I have never mentioned god. Just the occasional "oh my god, is that on sale??" Other than that, I have never mentioned religion in my house hold. Ive never talked about god or any other religion to my 5 year old. I think I should allow my son to figure what he wants to believe when hes old enuff to believe what he wants. As a mother, I will support anything, any religion he chooses.

evilive

Asked by evilive at 9:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My children have been in church since birth and my husband still takes them. Do they like it? No and most of the time they cry because they'd rather stay home.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son first went to church when he was just a few weeks old. He is 5 now and he cries, whines, and complains if we DON"T go to church. I guess it is God's way to get my butt going on Sunday mornings.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i read my books about satanism to my son every night lol hes only 9 months old though.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The only time I set foot in a church is for a wedding or a funeral, my girls went to Sunday school for a while but it was their decision.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was raised in an Atheist family, but my dad insisted that before I decide on any religion, I had to expose myself to at least a few of them. Around the time I started asking questions about God, he arranged for friends and family to take me to their churches and discuss their religions with me, so that I had some idea of the different belief systems. I chose to become a practicing Pagan, but I am very thankful he gave me the opportunity to learn about other religions as well! I think it would be appropriate to let them explore different religions with friends or family after they start asking questions about it. If they don't want to, or don't seem interested, I wouldn't push it- let them decide when they are ready.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Going to church or talking about God isnt like a rite of passage, or beginning puberty. Its a lifestyle. As christians, we live a lifestyle that is pleasing to God. We talk about the things of God when we lie down, when we get up, around the table, ect. My children have never NOT known God. If I had to endure a church like what you mentioned, I would not want to go either. Church is simly just a term for a gathering of other believers, but itsnot supposed to be boring. My kids love it. They sing, dance, meet new friends,do arts and crafts, and its generally a time for myself and my husband to worship the God that we serve. We are commanded by God, (because we are christians) to raise our kids in the things of God. Its not something on the side we do in our extra time, its part of our identity. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...One day, my children will have to decide what they believe and I have no say.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• First time my oldest was in church was when she was 7. My son was 5 and they started at their Catholic school. They go to Mass once a month until 3rd grade and once a week after that. My 3rd child went for the first time at 5, too. My youngest is 3 and the only time she has been in a church is for her older siblings kindergarten graduations (which were just ceremonies with a couple of religious songs).
    Up until my oldest was 5 or 6 we never talked about religion in our house really. Then some kid at her public school told her she was going to hell for not going to church and she freaked out (nightmares for a week...I was so ticked).
    Despite the whole Catholic school thing (which is a long story) we don't have religion in our house. It never comes up unless on of the kids has a religion test. My kids know we don't believe and I think only my 6yo does...but she still believes wholeheartedly in Santa and the bunny.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think my kids were about 5 the first time they went to church. I'm an Atheist, their dad is Agnostic. I've always found it extremely important to discuss different religious views with my children so they can follow which ever path makes the most sense to them.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• we are pregnant with our first, but 2 weeks is when she will go:) for the first time(as long as me and her are both healthy and up for it!)
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 11:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My first went to church when she was 1 week old. My twins were premies so we waited a while to bring them. My kids have never known a time when they weren't in church. My oldest accepted Christ when she was 5 and was baptised at 8. She is now 14 and starting the change from just following what mom and dad say to making it truly hers. It's a scarry time but necessary.
    My twins have a very hard time understanding abstract concepts such as faith. They have learning disabilities and it's very hard for them to think on that level.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009