Have you ever had a child lose their shoes?

And I mean really lose them. My kids have always misplaced their shoes in the house even though we have a place to store them inside the front door.
Well, the other day my 7yo son was outside playing and asked if he could get wet. I said yes. He came home awhile later and changed into dry clothes. I asked him where his shoes were and he said he left them at his friend's house (3 houses down) but when he went to get them they weren't there. That was 2 days ago and he's asked all his friends that he visited that day and no one has seen his shoes. They are gone. They were the only pair of shoes he had so now he is stuck at home with no shoes. And we just bought these shoes a couple weeks ago. I was so ticked but not much else I can do. I don't know how many times I've told him not to take his shoes off at other people's houses. Kids.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 9:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• OH my ,, my DD loses at least one of her shoes all the time. And the other day I went down by the edge of the fence and found about 7 different pairs of shoes. Yes I don't do the yard work and how my DH didn't see these. My daughter is grounded from shoes right now. She only has school shoes, a pair of flip flops, and the shoes she has left, she is not aloud another new pair until she can prove to take care of her things and put them in the shoe storage box.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son is the same way, I buy flip flops for the summer, if they get lost no big deal, and his shoes come off as soon as he walks in the door and they stay in the basket until he needs them for school, going out to dinner etc. they are not used to play.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No. The closest my DS came to "losing" a pair of shoes was when he asked if he could throw his shoes off the balcony of our room on a cruise ship.

Your son is old enough to learn responsibility. Make him replace lost shoes out of his allowance or have him do an extra chore to show him his shoes have value. If you think they are being lost around the house, don't replace them. Don't let him play until he finds them.

You should also consider letting him help pick out shoes he likes (if you don't already) so that he'll have an incentive to take care of his shoes. Maybe he doesn't like the ones you pick out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My 3 yo "lost his shoes" We searched the house up and down.. indoors and out. About a month later we turned on the heat and I smelled "stinky kids shoe" He (? More thanlike he and 4 yo sister) placed his shoes in the heat vents!!!
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah, my kids have done that! Once my 2 year old had lost his shoes, he hadn't been out of the house, so we had the whole family looking for his shoes. We looked everywhere! Finally we found them in the trash. I guess he didn't like those shoes! LOL

You could make a game out of finding the missing shoes. Get all the neighborhood kids, any siblings, and your own other children, tell them whoever finds the shoes gets a prize. Decide what it is before hand, either cash or a treat of some sort. Just an idea. I've done this at my house. I tell my grandkids, whoever finds MawMaw's glasses gets $2! lol....they love it they will all scramble around, running all over....then fianlly one of them will yell, "I found them!"
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• YES! My son is also 7 and is constantly losing shoes. Every morning before school to be exact...LOL...Usually we find them but we have completely lost one pair. Its frustrating, but keep working with him. I totally disagree with the mom who says that you should make him buy himself a new pair. My son doesnt get allowance, so thats not happening. Its my job as a mother to teach him responsibility of course, but while hes still learning, hes going to lose things. Its my job to make sure he has on shoes. I would buy him another pair and use the lesson to teach him to leave those in the house for special occasions. Give him a pair of flip flops to run around the neighborhood with. I would never make my child pay for that when he was just being a kid and having fun. Now if he deliberately destroyed them, then thats a different story, but kids do lose things. They are just kids. Cut thema break. Thats just my opinion. Been there!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• shoes??? no never shoes
    gloves/mittens yes and after I replaced 2 pairs my son had to use his own $$$$ after that he never lost another pair
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• They are supposed to take their shoes off at the door and put them in the cubby if they are staying in the house. He outgrew all his flip flops or wore them out and he didn't want a new pair. We just bought the gym shoes and he did pick them out and begged me to get them. They were less then $20 at Target so it won't be hard to replace them but they were supposed to last until winter. He needs new school shoes and so does his sister (who has strange feet and we'll have to go to Stride Rite to have her fitted because we can't find shoes anywhere else to fit her). His other sister needs gym shoes, etc.
    I'm just ticked because we tell him time and time again not to take his shoes off at his friend's house or to at least bring them home once he takes them off (they were outside when this happened). And we did have everyone look. No one has seen them. Either they were stolen or his friend's dad tossed them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If they were stolen or his friend's dad tossed them, it's not really his fault. It still sucks, though. He seemed to know right where they were, and ran to get them. I'd cut him some slack, but have him do an extra chore or so, because things cost money.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My 4 yo is constantly losing his shoes! I try to always put them up in the closet where they can't reach them but occasionally he'll kick them off in the living room and then one will go missing forever! I think my 2 yo threw them in the trash this last time though. Because we tore apart the house and the car and could not find that shoe!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009