WHY NOT PUT A NAME TO YOUR VIEWS?

I OFTEN VOLUNTEER FOR GAY ORGANIZATIONS HERE IN MIAMI, AND I OFTEN ENCOUNTER PEOPLE TO ASK THEIR OPINION ON THE SUBJECT. THE LAST TIME I DID THIS WAS AT VOTING POLLS ASKING VOTERS TO GIVE ME THEIR OPINION ON GAY MARRIAGE. I HAD A COPY OF ALL THE VOTERS REGISTERED AT THIS PARTICULAR PRECINT, THOSE WHO OPPOSED WERE RELUCTANT TO GIVE THEIR NAMES, ALMOST APOLOGETIC FOR BEING AGAINST IT. WHY IS THIS??

Asked by older at 10:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Probably for the same reasons people answer rudely as anonymous.

I don't get feeling bad for something you feel strongly about.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Why is this in religious and beliefs? voting polls? that is politics?

maybe you s hould have asked them at the polls you think? how rude to have us speak for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Maybe they didn't want the in your face people like you who want to know why people don't believe in gay marriage to cause problems. They don't want drama. We just want to live our lives believing what we believe. Doesn't mean they are ashamed about what they believe. They just don't want trouble, or maybe think its none of your business. Thats wrong to put pressure on others like that. I know what and why I believe is none of your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I POSTED IT HERE BECAUSE MOST OF THEM HAD RELIGIOUS REASONS FOR OPPOSING IT. I DID ASK THEM AND GOT NO RESPONSE.

Answer by older at 10:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• ANON 10:08, THERE WAS NO DRAMA, IT WAS A SURVEY FOR THE ORGANIZATIONS HERE, THERE WAS NO DEBATE INVOLVED ONLY STATISTICS.

Answer by older at 10:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• That's kind of like the KKK. If they were so proud of their beliefs, why did they were the masks? I have never hid the way I believe about anything. People know where I stand on this issue (I am for) and others. I feel strongly enough in my convictions and beliefs to stand proudly behind them. I guess it's fear of retaliation that keeps some people hidden behind things like the anon button.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Good morning, older. Hope you're doing well. Well, as you already know, I'm opposed,but I'm also not afraid to share my views. Mine are just as important as anyone else's,and I'm proud to live in a country we are free to share those views without fear of repercussion. Just because we don't agree,doesn't mean I have to hide behind anonymity. My beliefs are as important to me, as anyone's,and my Lord and Savior didn't hide when He died for me, why would I be afraid to stand up for what I believe is right in Him? Ones who do, are probably not as sure of their views as they'd like to think they are. I make no apologies for what I believe,and will not change my views to be "politically correct", or "go along with the gang."
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Ok, for the KKK I meant do, cause whether people believe it or not, they are still very much around!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Older:  This is a good question and an interesting observation, unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.  I have never had a problem publicly standing by my opinions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• HI STYMEN!! DOING GOOD THANKS! YOUR KIND OF STANCE WAS THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FOR, AND YET OUT OF HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE NOT ONE WANTED TO PUT A NAME TO IT. IT IS NOT LIKE ORGANIZATIONS POINT OUT THESE PEOPLE AND HARRASS THEM. I GOT THE SAME IMPRESSION ,Ones who do, are probably not as sure of their views as they'd like to think they are.

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009