Have you ever noticed a few Christians hate in the name of Christianity?

What is worse they hate on other Christian denominations. I don't understand why they can't spread the word of God and not spread hate on other Christian denominations. It is only one or two people, but man they come off making Christians look very bad.

I see atheist, pagans and muslims spread hate as well, but nobody can do it as good as a few Christians.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• People of other faiths do this as well. Look at the Muslims in the Muslim world. There is a lot of violence against one group to another. Usually when a religious sect becomes violent it is the most extreme of the followers. All faiths teach peace, love, and compassion but some groups choose to focus on the archaic passages in their Holy Books that refer to infidels and sinners being punished here on Earth.

As you say, Christians are not the only ones who do this, but they are not the worst of it either. Everyone has the ability to do evil in the supposed name of good.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• sorry beckcorc I see your point. I was talking about cafemom specifically. There has been one mom who claims to be christian really put down and show hate towards another group. I feel so bad for them when I see them use the name of God in hate. I agree, the muslims who kill in the name of allah are showing are hating in the name of their god as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Westboro Baptist Church and the KKK do the worst, I think. They do what they do in the name of the Christian God. I can't stand it when people say they're not Christians...because they read the same Bible all other Christians do! They just get a completely different (and horribly wrong) interpretation out of it. I wouldn't go saying an atheist person wasn't a "true" atheist because they did something bad, yeesh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You're right and the really sad part is that people who are anti-christian or prone to that sort of attitude seem to hone in on the "bad ones".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, I know what you are referring to. It is part of the inspiration behind my most recent journal:
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1504583/One_Reason_I_Study_Other_Religions

It is sad how Christians treat other Christians of different denominations. Sadly, it is not unique to CM at all. Going to an inter-denominational school and being in one of the lesser-popular, lesser-represented denominations, I was often made to feel "cold" or "evil" (or flat out told that I was) because my ways of worshipping and connecting to God were different than the mainstream, by my own teachers. The other day I posted on my facebook about my son's baptism and one of my friends decided to take it upon herself to comment that Baptism should be a choice and not done on children. I was so happy and that remark took the wind right out of my sails :-(
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• BOY HAVE I NOTICED!! BUT I TEND TO CLASSIFY THOSE CHRISTIANS AS NOT HAVING ALL THEIR MARBLES. I SEPARATE THEM FROM THE GENERAL CHRISTIAN POPULATION, THE KIND THAT WILL NOT SPREAD THE HATE STANDING FIRM IN THEIR BELEIFS.

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• (cont.) I truly believe that those who arrive to their conclusions and convictions with an earnest heart and a mind truly seeking to learn about and love God is pleasing to him whether they "have it right" or not. I don't think God cares if you were sprinkled as a baby or dunked as an adult. I don't think God cares whether or not we believe in transubstantiation, Real Presence or neither. I don't think God cares that I don't prophecy or speak in tongues or dance in the aisles at church. I don't think a lot of the denominational differences (I'm not referring to Christianity off-shoots that deny Christ) are as a big of a deal to God as they are to us. What's important is that God can see the love and passion I have in him in my heart and how I feel lead to show it in a different way. Whether we follow him perfectly as intended or not, it is our heart and desire towards God that please him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There are bad apples in every religion. It's sad but true. To me, that makes them not "real" members of their faith, since they are not living the lifestyle they are espousing.

If your religion says, "love all" and you go out into the world and say, "I love everyone, but you, you and you..." then you are not truly practicing your faith.

We ALL fall short of our goals at times, but to do so consistently and repeatedly makes me disregard you as a representative of your religion, and as a person of character.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• just a few of them are extreme.. I know a few really nice Christians on here as well..

Novemberlove, and cinnamom are very nice Christians..I could name a few others I respect a lot, but I'm unsure of their religious views.. and since we are talking about Christians, those are two women I know that are Christians, that normally go above and beyond to be nice.

but I don't want to use the names of those that are haters.. because they will delete my answer, and besides which, don't deserve mentioning.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No one can do it as good as Christians?! From the posts I see on here I would argue that point. Christians also to the bulk of the charity work done in the United States, quite possibly the world.
    It's just not politically correct to point that out or say anything about the hate that is spewd at Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009