Is it safe to use sunscreen on a 3 month old?

The labels on baby sunscreen say for babies 6mo. and up, but I was wondering if any of you have used sunscreen on a younger baby. This weekend on vacation my little boy may spend a small amount of time in the sun, and I would like to make sure he is protected.

Lindzh01

Asked by Lindzh01 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not a doctor but you can look it up on the internet. I read that there is contraversy if under 6 months of age. Probably best to keep a shirt and hat on the baby if in the sun but best to keep covered and in the shade. You may want to check with your doctor.
    AZbound

Answer by AZbound at 10:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't do it0- I know my son is severely allergic to most sunscreen's and he is 3 years old- i can't imagine the hives at 3 months- better to be safe and get those UV protectant clothes if you plan to be in the sun for awhile...but skin that sensitive shouldn't be in the sun for long periods (more than 20 mintes) of time anyway....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think most pediatricians advise to wait until your baby is at least 6 months as well. Besides, at 3 months it's best to keep your baby out of the sun as much as possible anyway. I think applying sunscreen may give parents a false sense of protection when their children should still be limited in sun exposure. Her eyes are still very sensitive to the sun light and you can't always be sure that you got hard to reach places with the sun screen like the scalp or in the ears.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My ds just had his 2 month checkup yesterday and my ped said that he was now old enough for sunscreen; but i would still use a hat too just to be safe.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 12:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, just don't put it on the hands.
    LavenderMom23

Answer by LavenderMom23 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Under 6 months I used a hat and those shirts/bathing suits that have SPF in them. I couldn't find any smaller than 12 months, but that was great because then the shorts covered his whole legs and the short sleeved shirt covered his whole arm.

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009