Do you have a will?

My dad just recently passed away, very unexpectedly. I have learned that they are reading his will on wednesday. I have never been through something like this. How does the proceeding go? We don't have to be present at the lawyers office. If we are left anything does the lawyer let us know?
Do you have a will? I do, not that I have much to leave my kids, but I wanted my wishes clear regarding who would get custody of my LO's should both of us die. I don't want my children becoming wards of the state or torn in some huge custody battle between his family and mine.
So, do you have a will?
Have you ever gotten an inheritance? How did that go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As far as the reading we all had to be present, although I was a trustee on the estate so I'm not sure... I would think you would need to be there.
    We are having our will revised as we speak..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My dads wife called my brother to let him know that she had an appointment with the lawyer on wednesday. She did not tell him nor my sister or I that our presence was required. She may get everything, we don't know. But why would she bother mentioning it to him if we were not involved in some way? I guess at this point only time will tell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You only have to be there if you are listed in the will.

say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No you don't. My ex husbands father died when we were married. He is one of 8 kids. His dad had a will, and left each of them around 35,000.00 each. We were not present for the reading. The lawyers office mailed us the cashiers check. That was it. The kids got together and asked for personal momento's from the house and everything went smoothly. You do not need to be present even if you are listed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2009