Is it true that fat people will have higher premiums than 'average' weight folks in Obama's healthcare plan?

Where can I read about this? I heard (withOUT verification) that 11lbs over would put you in a higher premium bracket (that seems...excessive, and not really all that right, so I want to see for myself, but don't know where to look).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Health

• Many private insurance companies have similar policies. That said, the current government run healthcare programs (VA and Medicare) do not have these policies and I would not expect them to be implemented.

Contact your members of congress for clarification.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Why not? Fatties already have to buy extra plane tickets to get their big asses in the seats.
    Miss.Ann.Thrope

Answer by Miss.Ann.Thrope at 11:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I am not sure about all the details of the new health care plan from Obama, but I know that I buy private health insurance for my son and I and they based what I pay each month on our weight, and prior health conditions.

I am sorry but I feel that if you are over weight you should pay more because being over weight causes many preventable diseases that a person would other wise not get, which in return causes the insurance companies more money!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Anon 11:10:
    So it doesnt matter if the fat person is healthy....just what # they are? Boy our world sure is wonderful. Healthy is okay ONLY if you are skinny, otherwise it's a 'fluke' and a fat person can't possibly be taking care of themself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh and what about making the people who visit the dr every other day for non-existent problems, pay more? Or the ones who actually DO have problems because of their lifestyle? Not the ones who just 'might'?
    It amazes me that this happens in this day and age. Oh wait...aren't homosexuals more likely to get aids, maybe they should pay more too, even if they dont' have aids, cause...they MIGHT get it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• That is not in the house bill now but they are tossing around the idea that people on the government plan should be charged more if they are fat, smoke, drink etc. they don't have a way to pay for the plan so they are looking at all kinds of taxes etc. This is hypocritical since they are supposedly doing the whole health thing so people who have preexisting problems can get ins. O well I gess you can have it but you will have to pay. They also keep bringing up the sin tax for fast food, sugary drinks, Beer, etc
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Nah, they are just going to round all of us fat folk and put us in FEMA camps.
    Anonymous