Since joining CM: Have you become more secure or more insecure about your parenting?

No matter what choice you make as a parent there is a line of people waiting to judge you on here. Of course there are LOTS of supportive moms too, but sometimes the negative sticks more than the positive. There is always someone telling someone else that they are selfish, neglectful, over protective, too uptight, that you should have breast fed, you should have weened sooner, you weened too early, your kids aren't disciplined enough, you're too strict, you're too caught up in designer clothes, you let your kids wear rags from Walmart (or worse: hand me downs!), and so on.

Sometimes they're not even judging YOU, but someone else who happens to do the same thing as you.

So, do you feel more insecure in your parenting as a result? Or has the constant criticism made you more confident in your ways? Have you changed the way you do anything since joining?

Curious minds want to know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've become more secure. I've learned that even the most alert and cautious moms make mistakes, that we all feel terrible when our little one's get hurt or sick, and that I'm not alone in the crazy feelings I get at times. When someone gets judgmental or rude it has no effect on me, I actually feel sorry for the person for not having better sense and a better up bringing.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• my opinion of my parenting hasnt changed
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have learned not to dicuss parenting issues on CM. LOL
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Being on this site really hasn't affected the way I feel about my parenting. I am going to raise my child the way I see fit, no matter how many times I get cussed out or called names. When people oppose my opinion or parenting style, it just makes me laugh because I believe "to each his own."
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i still parent my child how i see right but cafe mom has offered some new suggestions and is a place i can vent when stressed or share when happy. i love this site
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I learned a long time ago to not take anything serious if it comes from the internet... I don't know anyone here and they don't know me so why should their opinion matter if I don't care about what people in real life think?lol... We will raise our kids the way my Hubby and I feel is right and probably make lots of mistakes because you can't learn how to be a parent from the internet, books etc..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It has not affected me at all. I am 43, I have 5 kids...haven't lost one yet do to a choice I have made. I don't pay the slightest bit of attention to moms who bash. I am older and wiser than a lot of moms on this sight. I can always tell a mom who is mature and experienced by her answers. I can tell the moms who are still in high school lets be a b^%ch and bash mode...what do they know compared to me? NOT MUCH! Some young moms are mature, and offer very insightful advice. I just pick and chose who I listen too. I usually ask questions to have my own thoughts validated for the most part. If a mom has a fresh spin on the subject, I am all ears. I just ignore the garbage. I love to be helpful and offer advice to a mom of any age...solidarity...that is what this site needs more of. Women helping women. Not letting a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Neither, but I was just commenting on this very same issue in another question. I was already quite secure in my parenting, but it didnt come overnight. I have 4 kids and my oldest is 15, so Ive had some experience and I know what works and what doesnt for my children. I have though opened my mind and allowed others to share their experiences with me and how it worked for them and even found that some of those things worked for me. I think its always a good thing to be open to new ideas. I also dont pay any attention to moms who think the way I do it is wrong. I believe in letting kids be kids, and it does bother me when I hear a mom trying to potty train her 18 mo old or deliberately taking a bottle or breast away from a 12 mo old because they think thats what they are supposed to do. Theres no book that syas whats right or wrong, so why would I take another moms word for it?? No way.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well, my only child is seven months old. I started here when I had just found out I was pregnant, way back in May of 2008.

Just take a guess how secure this website has made me in my young momness, formula feeding, agnostic atheist "debil"-worshiping ways. Hahaha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Im secure in my parenting. Ive not become less secure since being here but have seen an ugly side that I never knew existed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009