MIL told me this, is it true?

Giving kids hot dogs before they are 5.... it kind of messes them up somehow.

I don't remember exactly what it is but she was totally freaking out about the damn hot dogs. To me, she isn't very credible in the parenting department so I don't listen to her very often. For this one I wanted to check up on it, just in case she is right.

If there is something about hot dogs before 5 what is it? I know it's easy for babies to choke... but is there some kind of medical thing I don't know about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldnt believe that. Millions of children eat hotdogs everyday, and not everyone in this world is messed up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Jeeza! My kids are probably pretty messed up then! But none of them are sitting in a psych ward or in jail so I don't think the hot dogs are a factor! LOL
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 11:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i have never heard that my daughter loves hot dogs
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I haven't heard that. But... hot dogs, although I DO give them to my son, aren't the healthiest of "meats" out there
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The only thing I ever heard of was the choking hazard although there is a lot of crap and preservatives in regular hot dogs. We eat all beef Kosher franks (not because we are better, lol, but because we love the way they taste). But my kids have also had regular hot dogs like at school and picnics and stuff. And that was as soon as they could feed themselves with their fingers (so before they turned 1). We just cut it up tiny. I've never had a child choke on a hot dog. My 3yo has been eating them whole since before she turned 2 and the ones we get are longer then a regular hot dog bun (we usually cut them in half for the kids and put half on a bun and slice the other half up for dipping).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• just a lot of chemicals and nitrates in those things lots of processed weird meat stick to hebrew national nitrate free and they use clean kosher beef, thats the only one i'll feed my kids
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't know about being 'messed up' but other than the high sodium content and nitrates in hot dogs there is a small link to cancer... not sure how much credit I give it but maybe that is what she is referring to.... google it for more info
    Marcia9043

Answer by Marcia9043 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Nitrates, I guess, but they're in deli meat, too. We don't eat them often, because my kids like chicken chunks (not fried nuggets) better. No one said it would kill the kid or put them in the psych ward. But that doesn't make it a healthy every day food, I suppose. I prefer to do better for my kids than keep them alive.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There's a lot of nitrates and preservatives in them. Applegate Farms makes a turkey dog that is nitrate and preservative free.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't give my kids hot dogs very often, although they love them, and we only eat the kosher beef hot dogs. As far as your mother in law, I would stick to the fact that she is not very credible in the parenting department.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2009