Any tricks that help make the day easier when you have children??

I'm about to have my first so this will be a live and learn experience. My mom told me to put a waterproof pad, then a sheet, then another pad, then another sheet, then another pad and finally another sheet in the bassinet and the crib to make changing easier for messes. I thought that was a good tip that should have been obvious to me. Anyone have any tricks that help make things easier like that??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 11:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Stock up on receiving blankets and burp clothes... And sleep when the baby sleeps, accept any offers of help as long as you feel like having someone in your home.. And remember to relax, the baby will know when you're tense.. And CONGRATS on your first!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• And sleep when the baby sleeps, accept any offers of help as long as you feel like having someone in your home.. And remember to relax, the baby will know when you're tense..

That is awesome advice that I ignored when I had my daughter. Now I definitely regret not listening. I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep bc I don't nap, and no one offers to help anymore, lol. But I need help more now than I did when she was newborn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My mom told me that whole sheet thing. My daughter is now seven months old, and she STILL reminds me of it. Honestly, my daughter has only had leaking problems five or six times the entire time she's been here. It wasn't worth it to do the whole layering thing. But hey, if it works for you, then great!

And sleeping when the baby sleeps is a great idea in theory, and again, if you can manage it, great. It didn't work for me at all. I was far too terrified that my daughter would die from SIDS or I was too wired to sleep or I needed to clean or shower or do laundry for the first time that month. When the baby naps, it's a huge sigh of relief and a nice break in the day. I'm actually typing this as she naps in her crib LOL.

Also, when your baby is about four or five months old, TV is a fantastic distraction tool. Some people don't agree with it, but whatever. Just sit them down in front of it so you can go pee, hahaha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah, and accept help whenever possible the first two months or so. After awhile, NOBODY will come around to help anymore, you'll most likely be on your own. People will expect you to come to them, not the other way around. It sucks, but you get used to it after awhile.

It will be overwhelming at first. Just remember that you'll never be able to live your life exactly as you do right now again. You'll have to meet your baby's needs before you meet your own. As long as you know it's not going to be perfect and sunshine and roses all the merry go round time, you've got a head start. Hope for the best, expect the worst =] Good luck! The first few months sucksucksucksucksuck, but when their personality comes out and they start to interact with the world, ohhh it's so much fun.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't know that all that layering will help. It might just be a bitch when you go to change the sheets. Who knows if your baby will even take to the crib. Well, I just had my first 4.5 mos. ago and it was a serious adjustment. She cried like a banshee for months:( I agree with the sleeping when the baby sleeps, esp. in the first few weeks. Our normal schedule tells us to sleep at night, but with a baby that will not happen. You may go to bed at 8 or 9 thinking, 'time to sleep now" but it doesn't work like that with a baby. You will get snatches of sleep at all hours. The 6-8 hrs at night no longer applies, at least in the beg. Also, get out of the house once in a while and continue to get dressed and do your hair/makeup. Doing that was the only thing that made me feel normal. I already felt like my life had been turned upside down. It was worse when I sat around in my pj's all day. Good luck!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• And my DD never leaks! My MIL told me the same thing about the sheets, but she had 3 boys who peed a lot.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The layering thing seems like way too much work and wasted energy to me.

I agree - diapers, burp cloths, receiving blankets. My son spit up ALL THE TIME... we always had a bib on him & had to change clothes often. Agreed also - sleep when baby sleeps, rest whenever you can!

Don't get overwhelmed, it will come and the days will get better - they will eventually sleep!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009