Can you...

ovualte without having a period? I havn't had my period in 3 months, but all pts are negative, so we're still trying. I know miracles can happen. Oh and I can't go to a doctor just yet, around here to get government medicial insurance you have to be pregnant go figure. And the health department does the same over the counter test. To have a blood test you have to have a doctor premission. It just it complicated lol!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Can I ovulate without having a period?

Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• To my knowledge, once you ovulate, you will have a period about 1.5-2 weeks later (unless you get pregnant). It's completely possible and normal to have a period without ovulating once in a while (or more often, if you have certain medical conditions), but not the other way around. The best thing to do to figure out when you ovulate is to start charting your cervical mucus and basal body temp. Try www.fertilityfriend.com, it's free and has a lot of great info to help you out. If you go several months without, then there are meds your doctor can prescribe to help get you going.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009