• In the Spotlight:

What to do about my dog in hot weather?

Our air conditioning is broken in our home. The temperature outside is expected to be 104 today. Yesterday our home warmed up INSIDE to 93 degrees. It was miserable, but we were able to let the dog (a chocolate lab) drink and play in the water, so she stayed cool. Today I have a doctors appointment out of town and will be gone for about 5 hours. I have no choice but to leave our dog in her kennel in our house (she's not trustworthy on her own yet). I can fit a water bowl in there. But will she be ok?? What would you do?

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 11:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Get an empty liter bottle of soda fill it with water and freeze it, If u can fit more than one in the kennel freeze as many as possible but them in his cage when u are gone and he can sit up next to them when he gets too hot.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would say to put a fan blowing on the kennel and leave the water in there.... my dog lives outside and it gets up to 106 out there and her does fine....
    Marcia9043

Answer by Marcia9043 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• freeze some water bottles that what they do with bunnies in the anmal shelte hey can lay by it and lick it, or chew it up put it under the blaket or bedding
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• either put a fan blowing by the kennel or freeze the water bottles.those sound like real good ideas.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• do you have abasement? They generally stay cool. But I'd use fans.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Your dog will be fine. We live in a hot area that gets 100+ all summer long and our dog prefers it outside. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    danyle02

Answer by danyle02 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thanks for the advice! I left a couple frozen water bottles with her along with her bowl of water and she's fine...EXCEPT...she somehow got her leather collar off and ATE IT! The whole thing, except for the buckle and tags, is gone. Ever heard of this happening? Guess I need to call the vet...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009