Not breast feeding... and feeling sore - any suggestions?

I'm not breast feeding but am swollen/engorged (delivered my son six days ago). I'm sensitive to touch (just holding my baby too close is painful). Any suggestions to get the swelling down and this milk dried up quickly? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A hot shower and some diurex.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I used ice packets it seemed to help some what. Mine hurt so bad after my first son i started crying cause I couldnt take the pain. The doc prescribed me lower tabs and I think Ivyprophen.
    Tara04

Answer by Tara04 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Ice packs and wrap those babies tightly with an ace bandage! That helped me! Also you could try a cabbage leaf they say that helps the swelling and pain but wrap them up tight if you take a hot shower do not let the water hit them that will cause the milk to come and you inturn will produce more.
    dreamercat1

Answer by dreamercat1 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I've heard that cabbage leaves dry you up (keep some leaves in a baggy in the fridge, and when you need them, crush them lightly to break the veins, and cover your entire breast area up to your armpit with them). Tight sports bras or binding your breasts with an Ace bandage can dry you up, but that also ups the risk of clogged ducts and infections, which are even more painful than what you're feeling now. Warm compresses will make you feel better, but warmth stimulates milk production which won't help in the long run. Cold compresses also make you feel better, and it dries you up; my LC suggested filling diapers with water and putting them in the freezer then putting those on your breasts, and it felt really good when I was engorged.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• hot shower will only make more milk and make you even more uncomfortable. cold compresses and cold cabbage leaves on the breast is what will help.
    binding breasts can help, but can also cause you to have clogged milk ducts or even mastitis. so, i don't recommend that.
    it'll probably take anywhere from a few days to a couple wks for you to completely dry up.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2009